Permitted Development advice please

Bar discussions . Talk about everything not only php !. Guests are welcome here , forum registration is not required.

Moderators: egami, macek, gesf

Post Reply
User avatar
New php-forum User
New php-forum User
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:35 pm
Location: Belarus

Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:29 am


I am looking for any advice please... I have also posted on the house buying / selling thread

In a nutshell, 3 years ago my husband built what can only be described as a sun room. It was and is never intended as an extention as it is built out of wood and is built on an existing patio. It literally was just an overflow room as our house is small, The size is 5m x 3m x 2.2high. We checked with the council and on the internet at the time as to weather planning permission was required but it stated that the size was within permitted development.. Half way through the build we had a visit from our local council as one of the neighbours had aparantly complained about it, but when the man from the council came around he said that it was fine and because we had kept the back door on it couldnt be classed as an extention if ever we went to sell the property so he said that it would be classed as a porch / sunroom. As time went on our son spent more and more time out there so we got electricity put out there, lighting power points etc.. from a qualified electrician friend of my husband, which has been run through a small armoured cable directly from the fuse board. We also had a radiator put out there when we had a new boiler last year..

Fast forward 3 years and the house is now on the market... We have someone who is interested, but they are asking about what permission we have for the "extention"....

We phoned the council today to see if they could provide us with something as they were the ones who verbally oked it 3 years ago, but we are now being told different things... one department is saying they want £90 to look at the files as they have been archived, and then we need building regs and another is saying that if we put an aplication form in for an existing lawful development certificate..

Any advice on how we can sort this mess and get the house sold... if need be then we can take the lot down, but it would be such a shame..

Thanks for reading
User avatar
php-forum GURU
php-forum GURU
Posts: 1190
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2016 5:52 pm

Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:20 pm

I might be able to give you a tenner for it.
Post Reply