Board index   FAQ   Search  
Register  Login
Board index php forum :: php coding PHP coding => General

Counting Members

Ask about general coding issues or problems here.

Moderators: macek, egami, gesf

Counting Members

Postby Kenneth » Sat Aug 31, 2002 8:59 am

Hi, I have 1 question. I want to be able to show what users are on my site. I already use a script to count the users online. I made my own auth script, and want to count and see the users who are online. What script could I use? Just to let you know, this is my table info.

Table: auth

Fields:

id
fname
lname
username
password
email
date

All I care about is basically counting the number of members online, then showing WHAT members are online. I need some code, and a MySQL table that INSERTS data, and DELETES date. Any ideas? Thanks!

Ken Cooper
Kenneth
New php-forum User
New php-forum User

Postby Jay » Sat Aug 31, 2002 3:27 pm

How do you know what members are online in the first place? Assuming they're 'logged' in, set a time for their last page access (so you know they're still around), and then somehow count how many different entries there are for people who've been online for X amount of time.

On my own site I actually log every page access in a separate table, so I can analyse which person is looking at what, where on the site everyone is, and what the most popular pages are. I then simply count how many distinct sessions there are within the last 20 minutes to see how many users are online!
Jay

Postby Kenneth » Sun Sep 01, 2002 6:31 am

Thanks, I will try that. Really appreciate it!
Kenneth
New php-forum User
New php-forum User

Return to PHP coding => General