Fixed tables

Discussing Html . Code , Software , other

Moderators: macek, egami, gesf

Xerpher
New php-forum User
New php-forum User

Fixed tables

Postby Xerpher » Mon Mar 17, 2003 7:15 pm

Is there a way to force a table size? I use stuff like <table width="200"> but if the contents inside it are larger it makes the table bigger... how can I stop that resizing?

andrewdavey
New php-forum User
New php-forum User

Can't

Postby andrewdavey » Tue Mar 18, 2003 1:22 am

Sorry but there is no way to really do this in HTML! :cry: The width is only a suggested minimum size for the table.

Xerpher
New php-forum User
New php-forum User

Postby Xerpher » Tue Mar 18, 2003 1:43 am

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :cry:

Does anyone know of any alternatives?

Oromian
New php-forum User
New php-forum User

Postby Oromian » Fri Apr 04, 2003 2:48 pm

I've always understood that if there is a set width for a table, then the table/cell cannot surpass this width. The content may go down more but it never will pass the width. The only variable in width that can alter it with a set ammount is when you are using something like width="80%".

reference: http://www.lissaexplains.com/table.shtml

*JaH*
New php-forum User
New php-forum User

Postby *JaH* » Sat Apr 05, 2003 6:29 am

Oromian wrote:I've always understood that if there is a set width for a table, then the table/cell cannot surpass this width. The content may go down more but it never will pass the width. The only variable in width that can alter it with a set ammount is when you are using something like width="80%".

reference: http://www.lissaexplains.com/table.shtml

that is only true if the contents of the cell can be cut in to pieces. If you for instance have
WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

a piece of text that can't be cut into pieces (cuz your browser will think that it's one word) it will stretch out the table.

Return to “HTML Basics”