Divided page/speed up loading question

Ask about general coding issues or problems here.

Moderators: macek, egami, gesf

p3x
New php-forum User
New php-forum User

Divided page/speed up loading question

Postby p3x » Sat Mar 08, 2003 10:21 am

Hello, I have a question about a page markup. I am not sure if this is the correct forum, but here goes.

My website uses CSS positioning to divide the page into 3 vertical fields with a left middle and right content. The middle content normally contains the most text. The left the links and navigation and the right contains some ads.

When I user wants to go to another topic (for example they click on 'about') I call the about.php page with exactly the same makeup as index.php only a different middle content.

Now, I have noticed that this can be pretty slow because it has to load the left and right column as well. But these don't change. They remain exactly the same so there is no real point in loading them again I think.

My question would be: how can I speed up this process of loading? Can I somehow make sure that the left and right column are not loaded or is there a different way? I have noticed that on most webpages (a GOOD example is http://www.phpfreaks.com) they do not have this problem. Click on something on the left column and the only thing that SEEMS to change is the middle column. How do they do this?? Frames?

I am really at a loss and would like some help with this, any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance,

P3x

*JaH*
New php-forum User
New php-forum User

Postby *JaH* » Sat Mar 08, 2003 3:01 pm

http://www.phpfreaks.com is not a good example :) Everything gets loaded again too :) but indeed, the solution would be to use frames (though I'm against it :)) But most visitors use caching of websites, so they won't load the pics over and over again :)

but better not use css too much, there aren't alot of browsers who using it :) Better use tables to devine where everything should be :)

Return to “PHP coding => General”