PHP : pbm with forms on FreeBSD

Ask about general coding issues or problems here.

Moderators: macek, egami, gesf

fred
New php-forum User
New php-forum User

PHP : pbm with forms on FreeBSD

Postby fred » Fri Aug 09, 2002 1:17 am

Hi,

I'm FreeBSD newbie, and I have a "strange" problem with a web site : I've made a web site using PHP, Apache and MySQL. This web site works perfectly on Linux (Debian and Mandrake) but on freeBSD, all my forms are empty : so the "post" keyword does not seem to work on freeBSD.

I recently install phpMyAdmin on freeBSD and it works perfectly. So I can deduce that PHP is set correctly on my computer....

...so I dont know what to do, if somebody has an idea...
Is PHP syntax different on FreeBSD ? I don't think so...:wink:

Thanks.

PS : I use freeBSD 4.6 on PII 233. I installed PHP, Apache and MySQL with the CDROM.

DoppyNL

Postby DoppyNL » Fri Aug 09, 2002 1:29 am

The only thing I can think on at the moment is that the version of PHP is different on both installations.

$_POST was $HTTP_POST_VARS

perhaps you installed an older version of PHP on FreeBSD than on the other installations. Therefore $_POST values will be empty on older PHP-installations.

Greetz Daan

fred
New php-forum User
New php-forum User

Postby fred » Fri Aug 09, 2002 1:41 am

Thank you for your answer. But I installed the last release of FreeBSD (4.6) from june 2002 and I installed PHP from the CD, I have to verify but think it's the version 4.4. of PHP..
And I don't understand why phpMyAdmin work because it uses the "post" method too...

DoppyNL

Postby DoppyNL » Fri Aug 09, 2002 2:23 am

create a php file with the content:

Code: Select all

<?php phpinfo(); ?>

and you will get a lot of info on you're installation, including the php-version.

as of version 4.1.0 variables submitted to the page with the post-method are available in the array $_POST before version 4.1.0 this was $HTTP_POST_VARS (which is still available, but deprecated).

phpmyadmin might still be using the $HTTP_POST_VARS and therefore it will work on older versions as well.

if you installed php from the same cd, the version is ofcourse the same and all of my typing here is sort of useless :roll:

one last note, latest version is 4.2.2, so if you've got version 4.4..... can I have a copy??? :D :wink: :!:

Greetz Daan

fred
New php-forum User
New php-forum User

Postby fred » Fri Aug 09, 2002 2:59 am

--> "so if you've got version 4.4..... can I have a copy??? " : no problem, it's home made :lol:

Yes but my web site work on Debian 2.2, Debian 3.0, Mdk 8.2 with different versions of PHP but don't work on FreeBSD 4.6 : strange !!! 8)

fred
New php-forum User
New php-forum User

Postby fred » Mon Aug 12, 2002 1:37 am

Hi !

I verified my php version with phpinfo : I have version 4.2.1

So all should work with this version, what can I do ?

Jay

Postby Jay » Mon Aug 12, 2002 2:29 am

Try accessing your POST variables through the $_POST array.

Return to “PHP coding => General”