I have been asked to create a site for a student group at my university. The problem is that I've never written a line of PHP code in my life. I would therefore greatly appreciate it if you could read the following and post your comments tips and trics.
The site should primarily be a community site for social scientists working on questions related to Latin-America and the Caribean. Members should be able to register and to post news and articles. The following has been suggested to me.
1. A member discussion board.
2. A member personal profile. This should be editable and should sort members according to which country they have been studying in, the subject of their research and the University they work at. It should also allow them to list their publications, and to edit this list as it increases.
It would be cool if this could, somehow, be linked to a map on the first page so that when clicking on a specific country, say Nicaragua, one would the get a list of the people registered on that country.
4. Some way of displaying the member names in a table showing name, country and subject.
3. I have been considering a mailing list, but I don't believe it would be worthwile considering the amount of work it would take to keep it going.
4. A way of publishing articles and thesis' such as master thesis's etc. preferably in word format. (optional)
I know this is a lot to ask, but having surfed the net for a while, it seems possible to find editable scripts that can be adaptet for this. I would very much appreciate any suggestions and recommendations to such scripts (free) and anything else that can simplify the making of this site.