How would you do this? Total newbie

General discussions related to php

Moderators: macek, egami, gesf

bebbetufs
New php-forum User
New php-forum User

How would you do this? Total newbie

Postby bebbetufs » Thu Feb 20, 2003 4:05 am

I have been asked to create a site for a student group at my university. The problem is that I've never written a line of PHP code in my life. I would therefore greatly appreciate it if you could read the following and post your comments tips and trics.

The site should primarily be a community site for social scientists working on questions related to Latin-America and the Caribean. Members should be able to register and to post news and articles. The following has been suggested to me.

1. A member discussion board.

2. A member personal profile. This should be editable and should sort members according to which country they have been studying in, the subject of their research and the University they work at. It should also allow them to list their publications, and to edit this list as it increases.

It would be cool if this could, somehow, be linked to a map on the first page so that when clicking on a specific country, say Nicaragua, one would the get a list of the people registered on that country.

4. Some way of displaying the member names in a table showing name, country and subject.

3. I have been considering a mailing list, but I don't believe it would be worthwile considering the amount of work it would take to keep it going.

4. A way of publishing articles and thesis' such as master thesis's etc. preferably in word format. (optional)

I know this is a lot to ask, but having surfed the net for a while, it seems possible to find editable scripts that can be adaptet for this. I would very much appreciate any suggestions and recommendations to such scripts (free) and anything else that can simplify the making of this site.

Best regards
Bernhard

Oleg Butuzov
Last Samuray
Last Samuray

Postby Oleg Butuzov » Thu Feb 20, 2003 4:17 am

allmost all that you asking you can find at our forum, just read this...

bebbetufs
New php-forum User
New php-forum User

Postby bebbetufs » Thu Feb 20, 2003 5:22 am

Thank you.

I have been surfing the forums for a while, but beeing so new to this it seems i cannot find the correct search criteria. I havent found much so far. I will continue searching both here and on the web in general. Please feel free to post suggestions here in the mean time. Feel free to post any links to relevant threads here on the forum as well.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Regards
Bernhard

php-punk
New php-forum User
New php-forum User

Postby php-punk » Thu Feb 20, 2003 10:47 am

if you are looking for pre-made scripts; try http://www.hotscripts.com as they have tutorials, premade and the general jizz!!

bebbetufs
New php-forum User
New php-forum User

Postby bebbetufs » Thu Feb 20, 2003 1:43 pm

Thanks I'll try that. The thing is that I would like some specific recommendations to scripts that I could use for this purpose. I know I'm beeing stubborn :oops: but, I honestly don't have the skill to seperate a good script from a bad one. That's why I would like to know what scripts you experts would use if you were to build a site like the one above.

Thank you all so far.

php-punk
New php-forum User
New php-forum User

Postby php-punk » Thu Feb 20, 2003 2:05 pm

well i wouldn't cass myself as a expert, but just take a look at hotscripts.com, look at teh free and highly rated ones, and if tey suit ur fancy use em.

bebbetufs
New php-forum User
New php-forum User

Postby bebbetufs » Thu Feb 20, 2003 2:09 pm

Thanks. Doing that now.

Return to “PHP General”