Article scripts.

Ask about general coding issues or problems here.

Moderators: macek, egami, gesf

inoob
New php-forum User
New php-forum User

Article scripts.

Postby inoob » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:58 pm

Would like to know how much you coders would ask to be paid for each of the following scripts:
1. Email web page link to a friend script.

2. User comments script that makes posts per ID. (Basically users comment for each article). Script made with protection from SQL injections, mathematical security questions, protection from spam and has an admin page to approve or disprove comments per article.

3. Contact form with mathematical security question or something similar to captcha and protection from spams.

4. Poll vote script that takes IP addresses so a voter doesn't vote more then twice every 24 or 72 hours.

This is the first time I'm looking for somebody to pay to code me scripts. Someone elaborate on how this works.

seandisanti
php-forum Fan User
php-forum Fan User

Re: Article scripts.

Postby seandisanti » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:10 pm

Decide how much you want to make per hour, times the number of hours you think it will take plus 20%. Don't feel bad about the 20% kick up, because you'll end up going over your expected hours by at least that much. Write up a proposal for that amount that clearly states everything that you'll be doing, and requiring at least half up front.

inoob
New php-forum User
New php-forum User

Postby inoob » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:16 pm

Thanks for your reply. Seems logical to pay half upfront first. I have at least 3 to 4 scripts. Can you give me an example of how long you would think those scripts will take to be completed? At least from your knowledge?

seandisanti
php-forum Fan User
php-forum Fan User

Postby seandisanti » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:16 am

Unfortunately, there's no good answer to that; it's like asking how long it takes to cook dinner. It varies with experience, attention to detail, scope, etc. That's why you bump your expected hours because whether we realize it or not, when called on to time required for a project, programmers are notoriously optimistic. Sometimes it can be blamed on the client, but it's been my experience that even when the client leaves everything to a programmer's discretion, the project ends up taking longer than the programmer originally quoted.

inoob
New php-forum User
New php-forum User

Postby inoob » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:41 pm

Thanks for your honest reply. I will start my proposal soon.

seandisanti
php-forum Fan User
php-forum Fan User

Postby seandisanti » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:09 pm

no problem, good luck with it and have fun. Remember to outline what exactly your bid covers, and even if you don't write the lowest you're willing to accept on the proposal, have it in mind before delivering it to the client. That way they can't talk you down lower than you're willing to go, or get you to add work for free.

Return to “PHP coding => General”