Board index   FAQ   Search  
Register  Login
Board index php forum :: Bar News and Announcements

not receiving update emails

Rules, News, Announcements and so much more: We are here to inform you.

Moderators: macek, egami, gesf

not receiving update emails

Postby freshnet » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:27 am

I've noticed that if I don't visit the board for a couple of weeks, I stop receiving email post updates even though there are updates happening and I'm still subscribed. Once I come back and post again, I'll start receiving updates for boards I post on again, and then after a while it stops again. Is this a known issue, and is there any workaround? Having to visit every day to check if there are new posts sort of defeats the purpose of subscribing...
freshnet
php-forum Active User
php-forum Active User

Re: not receiving update emails

Postby seandisanti » Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:37 pm

I can't say that it's definitely the case here, though it sounds like it, but some sites that offer subscriptions only send emails to subscribers deemed 'active' by regular patronage. In addition to it being an incentive to visit the site at least semi-regularly, it avoids wasting time and resources pushing content to people that don't seem to be doing anything with it.
In addition, some portion of people who initially subscribe end up changing their mind send it to spam, instead of unsubscribing etc. Having your updates reported as spam is never good, as it can get your domain entered into indexes as a known spammer and that makes it harder for the people that want to get updates also. So once again its in the sites best interest to avoid excessive transmissions to inactive users.
No matter what the threshold is set to, whether it's days, weeks, months, or years invariably there will be people that miss an update and think it's unreasonable for them to be required to log in that often.
seandisanti
php-forum Fan User
php-forum Fan User

Re: not receiving update emails

Postby seandisanti » Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:19 pm

where as my being stupid and writing responses to months old threads is a waste of my time and everyone else's. lol. sorry
seandisanti
php-forum Fan User
php-forum Fan User

Return to News and Announcements