Rookie2012 1.0

Bar discussions . Talk about everything not only php !. Guests are welcome here , forum registration is not required.

Moderators: macek, egami, gesf

Rookie2012
New php-forum User
New php-forum User

Rookie2012 1.0

Postby Rookie2012 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:27 am

Hey guys.. please forgive me, as this is my first time to forums, let alone PHP?!....

So have no idea where to start, what goes where, or what is considered appropriate conduct?!....

Nor can I be bothered trying to find out, what the "appropriate conduct is?!.. lol... So Im going to speak my mind.. and if you throw my butt out, so be it!.....

Have just spent the last two weeks looking into PHP or any kind of server side stuff for the first time!...
Came out favouring PHP with the SQL's as I understand my Host supports it!...

10-15yrs ago I once understood the basics well.. html,javascript,Flash5,MX.... But never sever side stuff... Coming back all these years later, and it all seems a right mess!!!....

In two weeks Ive learnt: (remember just as a new comer coming back?!)
These languages are in a right mess... To find "no catch" help seems near imposable.. A truly free PHP file, just to get a look at the code for the first time, near imposable to?!....

-Demo & tutorial sites, had endless dead or junk sales links??
-Everywhere I went I got CMS & Hosting rammed down my throat!.. The CMS is a new thing since I left.. Fascinating concept!!!.... But clearly death to the average webmaster/designers.. : (...
-If I see another Wordpress theme or plug-in I swear!.. haha... Not since "Evony" 2yrs ago have I seen banner slashing like that!.. lol...

But despite the challanging start.. here I am, and just warmin up!.... I finally pulled some basic and clean zips (I think?) out of php.resourceindex.. about 50% of there links were old closed sites, and of the rest about 90% had bad zips or dead demo's.. If anyone can suggest better.. would be grateful!...

For my first site in years(fun project).. the first "new to me" thing, I wanted was a very basic comments page.... basicly for me to use as a "reminder/tasks/to do" list for myself as I build it.. So it just needed a text field, a submit button and if poss.. a listing of remarks made underneath would be great!....

You guys seriously have no idea how unbelievably hard that was for a new comer to find out on-line?... Just insane!.... So after about 10-12 days, I finally found a link/zip that was warm to my needs & felt safe enough to unzip!.....

12hrs ago using old school D'WeaverMX.. I read my very first PHP code in 2-3 small files... Very Cool!.. it makes another php file to hold the new content, thats a trip!.. haha....

Made some small safe changes to the script.. played with changing text & BG/Border colors etc.....

Understood I woundnt need to make a sql database connection.. as at this point I still dont know how?... Have uploaded and tested about 2 hundred times!.. haha... over the last 12 hours (using filezilla, delete and retry, painful).. I know D'W-MX can make this server side testing a lot easyer, but dont know how?....
--------
Now guys.. I come begging for wisdom and guidance!.. after 2 weeks of trying to achieve what 1 would think is the most base php task?!.... I believe Im done!.. haha...

But would now like to ask some basic questions about adding code(write? copy & paste? buy?).. rather than just pushing around...

My first php-forum question is?.. Drum roll please!.......... How can I post a screen shot?!... hahaha

So I can show where Im at with it and the changes Id still like to make...

I understand the "IMG" tag.. just not quit sure what to put inbetween?... Im guessing the hole path eg. http../../..name.jpg.... is there a size or dimensions limit?.. Could anyone please confirm?.. ty

Hopefully talk to you all again soon!... Although I spot 11 people online.. & 160'ish as most back in 2007?...

I now understand why!!!... Its not because theres lack of interest in the language... Its because theres no kind of stability on-line for a new comer to feel the language out!...

Truth, I would have quit this language 10 days ago!... But knowing I could code complex javascripts, believed I could get it(basics).. If I could just get my hands on the code & working demo to confirm the code was good..... 12 days!!!!.. Im in so much trouble with the little lady!.. haha...

what goes in the img tag???....

Thanx Brian

Rookie2012
New php-forum User
New php-forum User

Re: Rookie2012 1.0

Postby Rookie2012 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:34 pm

I cant attach the image?... try as a link?...

http://www.gibsonprotocol.com/Screenshot.jpg

Return to “Free time”