Board index   FAQ   Search  
Register  Login
Board index php forum :: php coding PHP coding => Mail

Best way to set up mail list on user site?

the mail() function

Moderators: macek, egami, gesf

Best way to set up mail list on user site?

Postby billygoatkaraoke » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:13 am

Hi

I have a user registration based website and desktop app in beta testing. I only have a small number of users, but am beginning to plan my email list practice to cater for a larger list.

I have a couple of questions if anyone experienced can help out:

1. do user registration sites with a reasonable sized member base typically use services like Get Response, or do they somehow use an internal system?

2. at the moment I'm planning the code that will let users change their details, such as their email, and it occured to me that if I did eventually use an email service as mentioned above, how does such a service keep track of an action such as a user deciding changing their email address on your website (using php and mysql)?

Thanks for your time and help guys.

Shaun
billygoatkaraoke
New php-forum User
New php-forum User

Re: Best way to set up mail list on user site?

Postby egami » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:13 pm

First things first.

1. I would never ever use an outside company to keep track of my users, or any of their information, ever.
- This is how spam is created
- This is how users get their identities stolen.

2. It's relatively simple to create your own system and mailer to acheive your goal, and there really isn't a best way to do it, but there are lots of good ways to accomplish this. Your best bet is to check out some of the O'Reilly books on PHP & MySQL. They have authentication examples and show you how to build your own CMS, and other various projects.
egami
php-forum GURU
php-forum GURU

Re: Best way to set up mail list on user site?

Postby billygoatkaraoke » Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:16 am

Thanks Egami - I will have to look into a better way than an external co
billygoatkaraoke
New php-forum User
New php-forum User

Return to PHP coding => Mail