Board index   FAQ   Search  
Register  Login
Board index System Administration Server installation and configuration

File Transfer Protocol

Discuss server installationa nd configuration issues here

Moderators: macek, egami, gesf

File Transfer Protocol

Postby jhurilla » Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:11 am

Do you know anything about ftp (file transfer protocol) log-ins? i need to know? if i'm getting this right. if i have a master ftp log in it means i can log into my own site as the administrator etc...right? and then, if there are additional ftp log ins, these could be my clients or people who log in securely to my site, is this correct? i am window shopping for a good webhost and they give all these technical info if i mail them i'll have to sit here for days asking each individual one about their so called best deals....so i wonder if there are any smarties around this fine day?
New php-forum User

Re: File Transfer Protocol

Postby FollowTheTortoise » Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:53 am

If your buying hosting, you get an FTP that allows you to log on to your account, which is connected to a directory on the server. You can then set up other FTP accounts, if your host offers additional ftp accounts, and you can restrict them to a certain directory inside the one your host provided you.

Does that help? Unless you plan on getting a VPS or Dedicated Server, I really don't think you have much more control over the ftp than what I mentioned above.....
FollowTheTortoise
New php-forum User
New php-forum User

Return to Server installation and configuration