PHPMyAdmin changes user name?

Forum for you who has PHP installation issues

Moderators: macek, egami, gesf

phuile
New php-forum User
New php-forum User

PHPMyAdmin changes user name?

Postby phuile » Tue May 02, 2006 2:06 pm

I am tearing my hair out on this one. I have a domain hosted by Telus (in Canada), and I've created a database with 4 tables in it on the server. I need to upload some data onto one of the table. The data is currently in an Excel spreadsheet. But I can generate a tab-delimited file or something similar.

Telus said that I should use something like PHPMyAdmin. I tried, and configured it to connect to the host, user etc. Telus provides a user name for me which is something like "dbm.abcassociation.org". I can use this succussfully on their database manager but when I tried PHPMyAdmin, it returns an error saying that it cannot connect to user and gives a user name that looks like absassociation@154.20.100.153.

In case you are thinking - I have asked Telus, and they said that it's a PHPMyAdmin problem and don't want to help. Another question you may ask is why I didn't use Telus' database manager. Well, their "manager" only provides a certain number of queries. LOAD is not one of them. So I have to use something else.

Do you know what I may have done wrong??

Thanks, again - Petre.

Coditor
New php-forum User
New php-forum User

Postby Coditor » Wed May 03, 2006 2:49 am

Ask Telus to provide you with a username that doesn't contain periods.

Imho it's strange that a hosting provider doesn't think about phpMyAdmin when they provide usernames. It's the most used tool afaik. Most hosting providers even provide phpMyAdmin access for you.

Another option is to create a small PHP script that connects to the database and calls the LOAD query.

Coditor

phuile
New php-forum User
New php-forum User

Postby phuile » Wed May 03, 2006 5:59 pm

Thanks ...

Yes, it is frustrating. I don't think they will do that, since it's a "standard" that they use. The most stupid thing is that it is Telus themselves who told me to use PHPMyAdmin in the first place!!!

I am new to this, so please don't mind me asking ... if I write a simple LOAD script on a php page and upload it onto the Telus server (or my web space). How will that work? Do I also upload the text file to the same folder? Do I create a page that when I press a button or something, the text file will be loaded into the table? Where should I start ... Please help.

Thanks, Petre

Coditor
New php-forum User
New php-forum User

Postby Coditor » Wed May 03, 2006 11:20 pm

I would upload the file and the script to the same folder. The script only has to read the file and execute the queries..

Coditor

Return to “PHP Installation”