Executing PHP script without user trigger

Ask about general coding issues or problems here.

Moderators: macek, egami, gesf

uncertain_manos
New php-forum User
New php-forum User

Executing PHP script without user trigger

Postby uncertain_manos » Mon Dec 16, 2002 12:56 am

Hi to all,

To the best of my knowledge, php code runs only when a script is attached to an html page. That means that the php code can run when a user asks for a php page to run.
I want to execute the php script during the night and normally for 3-4 hours. According to the previous stated, I cannot do that because I need a user asking for the script. Also, I found in previous messages that there is a maximum of 30 secs (if I don't change this setting in the php ini file).
I would like your opinion on the subject and proposals on how else I can do this code to run for 3-4 hours daily without any user asking the script.

regards,
Manos

Oleg Butuzov
Last Samuray
Last Samuray

Postby Oleg Butuzov » Mon Dec 16, 2002 4:33 am

click here http://www.php-forum.com/p/search.php

input cron

push Search

dupontv
New php-forum User
New php-forum User

Postby dupontv » Mon Dec 16, 2002 1:08 pm

On a Linux-Apache webserver, we use the 'cron' tool to run PHP scripts at night. Under windows, you could use a scheduler or any application...

uncertain_manos
New php-forum User
New php-forum User

Postby uncertain_manos » Tue Dec 17, 2002 12:24 am

dupontv wrote:On a Linux-Apache webserver, we use the 'cron' tool to run PHP scripts at night. Under windows, you could use a scheduler or any application...

thank you both for your help. I may need dome more help on that "cron" tool, because I am totally unfamiliar wilth UNIX systems.
Thanks again,
Manos

Return to “PHP coding => General”