Board index   FAQ   Search  
Register  Login
Board index PHP PHP General

PHP, Apache and MySQL newbie... HELP!! :)

General discussions related to php

Moderators: macek, egami, gesf

PHP, Apache and MySQL newbie... HELP!! :)

Postby cherphas » Mon Dec 02, 2002 5:17 am

Hi,

I'm new to all the PHP, Apache, MySQL stuff. At work I have been asked to build an internal web site for a client using PHP, Apache, MySQL, but i've never used any of those before. I am however familiar with ASP and Coldfusion. So I thought someone could explain to me exactly what these technologies are by comparing it with ASP or Coldfusion, and showing the difference between them. This way I could have a good idea what it is. I'm guessing PHP is the server-side scripting language used on Apache servers? And MySQL I have no Idea. I know how to use SQL so I know it has something to do with databases.

Second, I'm using Windows 2000, and my site has to be compatible with Linux or Wintel platforms and Netscape/IE/Mozilla browsers. The client says their corporate DB is Oracle8i, except for one of the places the site will be deployed, so the client says it'll be safer developing DB based applications using PHP via ODBC to connect to any RDBMS(What does that mean!). So for development, the client also says I should use MySQL orPostgressSQL on the desktop. Is it possible to make sure it is compatible with all this while working in Windows? And all I have for databases right now is Access 97, but I might be able to use Oracle. Any suggestion?

I just need someone to point me to the right direction. Then I'll get working with sample codes and online tutorials.

Thanks in advance.
cherphas
New php-forum User
New php-forum User

Re: PHP, Apache and MySQL newbie... HELP!! :)

Postby WiZARD » Mon Dec 02, 2002 6:20 am

Hi!
First, if tou believe me in my firm for intranet using PHP, MySQL and Apache and all thats stand under WindowsXP :wink: :!:
Second Why you asking. Because, PHP it's faster server-side language, faster then ASP but not like ColdFusion. It's ease to understand, if you write at C/C++, Java. ASP works only under Wintel platform, PHP - flexibility: you have a source code and you may create csript under Windows and this script will work under Unix/Linux.
PHP vs ASP
MySQL - it's faster SQL server, faster than Oracle :wink: but limited in triggers, functions, but speed.....
Apache, Apache - is a sound for admin's it's too flexibility and very fast closing all bugs.
[/url]
WiZARD

So do I just download and start coding?

Postby cherphas » Mon Dec 02, 2002 8:11 am

Ok. So If I want to start coding in PHP, all I have to do is download PHP, Apache and MySQL on my machine(beside all the learning!)? Can I set up my machine as a server, sort of what I did for Coldfusion with IIS? And all this is (!) free? Is there anything else I should know before I start working on it?
cherphas
New php-forum User
New php-forum User

Re: So do I just download and start coding?

Postby WiZARD » Thu Dec 05, 2002 4:38 am

cherphas wrote:Ok. So If I want to start coding in PHP, all I have to do is download PHP, Apache and MySQL on my machine(beside all the learning!)? Can I set up my machine as a server, sort of what I did for Coldfusion with IIS? And all this is (!) free? Is there anything else I should know before I start working on it?

You may set PHP as ISAPI module and work with Coldfusion together:wink:
Actually
MySQL - is a faster SQL in internet it's statistic form Ziff Davids.
PHP faser than ColdFusion.:wink:
Besides, all info you may get from internet http://www.php.net/links.php
ar get help from this forum :!:
PHP as MySQL and Apache is free :!:
Info for reflection:
http://php.weblogs.com/php_asp_7_reasons
http://php.weblogs.com/php_vs_asp
http://php.weblogs.com/php_vs_cold_fusion
WiZARD

Return to PHP General