quick question

How to use phpmyadmin.... phpmyadmin related arguments. Even phpMyAdmin issues

Moderators: macek, egami, gesf

icravecheese
New php-forum User
New php-forum User

quick question

Postby icravecheese » Thu Aug 05, 2004 2:24 am

im trying to find out how to take the text formatting(ie paragraphs) from my database, It seems to come up fine in phpmyadmin, but im strugling getting it onto my page that way, it just comes up as one long line, which then wraps around depending on how ive set up the tables in html.
I couldn't a way of describing what im looking for in a few words so hopefully my ramblings make sense to some bright spark with the answer. Thanks

gesf

str_replace() and nl2br()

Postby gesf » Thu Aug 05, 2004 3:46 am

You´re looking for php's str_replace() and/or nl2br() functions ;)

icravecheese
New php-forum User
New php-forum User

Postby icravecheese » Thu Aug 05, 2004 4:20 am

Right, thats a help, but Im more interested in finding out how phpmyadmin stores the data itself, it clearly has some sort of formatting, but unfortunetly I can't see what it is at any point. Does the /n disapear when outing in html? if so, how come?

swirlee

Postby swirlee » Thu Aug 05, 2004 5:40 am

phpMyAdmin does not do any formatting to your records.

The trouble is that you have newlines ("\n") in your text, and you're expecting them to display in your browser as newlines. Browsers don't do that -- you have to use HTML to format your text. If you do View > Source in the browser, you'll see that the newlines are there, they just aren't displayed (because they're not supposed to be). That's where nl2br() comes in. It converts newlines to HTML line breaks so they'll be displayed.

Return to “phpMyAdmin”