Register  Login
Board index PHP PHP General

Getting started with php & mysql

General discussions related to php

Moderators: macek, egami, gesf

Getting started with php & mysql

Postby cosmo » Mon Oct 21, 2002 6:19 am

Hi,

I'm writing here, because I'm in trouble.

I have to create a mailinglist and login stuff. But I don't know nothing about it.

And I have a lot of questions.

So I was wondering is there maybe a step by step tutorial or something that can help me out.

I know html, but nothing about mysql, php or anything else needed for creating a mailinglist exept that I need a server that supports php and mysql...well I got that :) What next??

Do I need any special programs or smth?

Hope you can help me out.

Thanks in advance

Cosmo
cosmo
New php-forum User
New php-forum User

Postby Jay » Mon Oct 21, 2002 12:12 pm

Errm, if you don't know much about PHP and MySQL, you're chewing off a VERY large piece that you won't be able to bite, because you'll also need to learn how to send emails through PHP!

I would advise that you start with something small to learn PHP and MySQL on. As for the mailling list, there's plenty of software about (as in stand alone programs) that'll do the job!
Jay

this sucks

Postby cosmo » Mon Oct 21, 2002 10:59 pm

Well....well

I'm again in the same place as I was before :)

Everybody tell me it's hard and so on...but knowone can't help me to start doing something.
Again you said there a lot a software for that (but what ???) ....

I think I can find the most codings for php from the net, but don't know where to put them and no nothing about mysql :(

so..again I have to ask If anybody knows a tutorial or something that can help me out....

hope to hear from you soon...:)
cosmo
New php-forum User
New php-forum User

Postby Jay » Tue Oct 22, 2002 12:55 am

Mate, it's like trying to build a building without knowing the first thing about architecture. You have to know how the foundation works, what it can support, the stresses, how to built it in the most efficient manner, how to get it to do exactly what you want, etc etc etc.

It's a BIG project, and you need to know what you're doing. It's only for the experienced, which is what you are not.

I suggest you start small. Learn about MySQL first, so you can manipulate the database. Then learn how PHP generates emails. In time you'll know enough to manage to built it yourself (with a little help) but you can't do it straight-off! Why don't you listen to advice when you're told?

If you want to charge ahead, buy a good book on PHP!
Jay

PHP Tutorial

Postby MrBucket » Fri Nov 01, 2002 9:34 am

Why can't you guys just give the kid an addy for a tutorial?
That's really all they're asking for!

PHP Tutorial: http://www.php.net/manual/en/tutorial.php
MrBucket
New php-forum User
New php-forum User

Re: PHP Tutorial

Postby Jay » Fri Nov 01, 2002 2:09 pm

MrBucket wrote:Why can't you guys just give the kid an addy for a tutorial?
That's really all they're asking for!

Because we assume that if they're trying to develop applications for the web (which is what PHP is used for), they'll be familar with search engines!
We also try to advice based on experience, which is something a search engine can't do! If our advice is to fall on deaf ears, why ask?
Jay

Return to PHP General