Board index   FAQ   Search  
Register  Login
Board index php forum :: HTML HTML Basics

background-repeat

Discussing Html . Code , Software , other

Moderators: macek, egami, gesf

background-repeat

Postby TrickyRic » Thu Oct 30, 2003 7:24 am

hi all, being a dreamweaver user im not used to raw coding in html much. now i need to tile a background image vertically down the left of the screen just to finish off some tables. ive done a bit of browsing and found i can do it with repeat-y but i have no idea how to use it. all the examples show it as say...

body{
background-image: whatever.jpg
background-repeat: repeat-y
}

...or whatever, but my body tag is...

<body bgcolor="#0017FF" text="#FFFFFF" leftmargin="0" topmargin="0" background="images/menu.jpg">

...and i cant find a way of adding repeat-y to that tag.

just wondering if anybody know how, or even if its possible. thanks.
TrickyRic
New php-forum User
New php-forum User

Postby liquedus » Thu Oct 30, 2003 9:21 am

This should do the trick:

body{
background-image: url('whatever.jpg');
background-repeat: repeat-y;
background-position: top left;

background-color: #0017FF;
color: #ffffff;
margin-left: 0px;
margin-top: 0px;

}

and empty out your body tag to <body>

I would suggest learning HTML using Notepad or Textpad on a Win machine and something like VI on a unix box. The reason is this, good confidence in yourself about getting the job done and WYSIWYG editors put alot of crap into your files, I ony use Notepad for all my coding, but have to use Dreamweaver at work, where I work in HTML mode anyways. :wink:
liquedus
php-forum Active User
php-forum Active User

thanks

Postby TrickyRic » Thu Oct 30, 2003 12:14 pm

are it worked, thanks. i wasnt planning on using a css style but if it works im happy.

actually i do know a fair amount of html but its not really my kind of language so i tend to stick with wysiwyg editors like dreamweaver (but yes i know what you mean about the added crap, i now spend a few minutes removing most of it and realigning the indents before uploading... unless im feeling lazy).

im actually writing a html editor for the none-wysiwyg (raw) coders called htmliate (hyper text markup language in a text editor). its way too buggy for a release yet but heres a screenpic anyway...

http://www.freefornow.co.uk/temp/htmliate%201.2.7.JPG

...im currently adding point-and-click support for 109 html tags but at the same time, trying not to take it away from the text editor appearence. best of all it supports syntax highlighting for php! anyway ill let you all know when the first builds ready for release (dont worry its free) but it wont be for a few months yet.

btw, heres the page youve just fixed...

http://www.premierinteriorsuk.co.uk/interiors2

...which is a redesign of...

http://www.premierinteriorsuk.co.uk

...and much better im sure youll agree.

anyway thanks again, im blabbering on about things im sure your not too interested in so ill end it here...
TrickyRic
New php-forum User
New php-forum User

Return to HTML Basics