Codes here !

Moderators: macek, egami, gesf

Joker
New php-forum User
New php-forum User

Table type for optimal performance

Postby Joker » Thu Jun 26, 2003 1:19 am

Hi,

I'm currently working on a database which has 60,000 entries. I receive them in excel spreadsheet format and resave it as a tab separated file (approx 3.7MB). There are 5 fields all of type 'varchar', 3 of which are (20) in size, 1 of size (10) and 1 of size (255).

I insert the file using the phpMyAdmin interface and I have to do it in 2 parts (50% of file each time), otherwise I just get a message saying s.th along the lines of "Please select the table to insert" if I try and upload all 60,000 rows in one go!

But anyway, after a table crash yesterday, it got me thinking that maybe my table type is not the best. It is currently the default 'MyISAM'. Should I be using a different format?

I am probably making 101 newbie mistakes here, but I'm finding it hard to find the information I need on the mysql website.

By the way - there is a slight chance that I will be asked to change over to use my client's 400,000 - 500,000 entry database. Once I have the current (60,000 entry) table sorted, is there anything else I should be aware of or change to accomodate the slightly larger number of rows?!

Your own comments and solutions would be greatly appreciated, as well as good places of reference.

Thanks for your time.

liquedus
php-forum Active User
php-forum Active User

Postby liquedus » Thu Jun 26, 2003 12:32 pm

http://www.innodb.com

hope that helps! :)

Joker
New php-forum User
New php-forum User

Postby Joker » Fri Jun 27, 2003 4:46 am

:D That's great thanks. Have converted my tables already and feel much better, knowing about the automatic crash recovery etc etc!

liquedus
php-forum Active User
php-forum Active User

Postby liquedus » Fri Jun 27, 2003 12:44 pm

hey no problem... :D

Return to “mySQL & php coding”