Register  Login
Board index php forum :: Database mySQL & php coding

Database or sessions?

Codes here !

Moderators: macek, egami, gesf

Database or sessions?

Postby Batman » Sun Apr 20, 2003 3:06 am

Hi

I'm currently trying to write my own forum, and I was wondering about something. When a user logs in, a session is started. Depending on the "level" of the user (visitor, moderator, admin, ...) he will have different options: reply to topic, move topic, delete topic, etc. In other words, each time a user opens a topic, a check needs to be done to see what level he is, which determines what options will be available on that page.

Is it preferable to store this userlevel in a session (I will use the standard PHP4 session functions), or should I look it up in the MySQL database each time (i.e. his username is stored in a session and the rest is retrieved from the dbase with that username as an identifier)? I'm not only wondering about this in terms of speed, but also in terms of how much session-info the server can generally store without getting into memory/diskspace/speed trouble.

Thanks!
Batman
New php-forum User
New php-forum User

Postby liquedus » Sun Apr 20, 2003 6:01 am

i would use a session, on a busy server doing such requests would only create unneccessary traffic and might slow down crucial parts of your site, but thats only my opinion.
liquedus
php-forum Active User
php-forum Active User

Postby *JaH* » Sun Apr 20, 2003 6:26 pm

I would use session control AND the database, at least for the admins...then it's best secured :)
*JaH*
New php-forum User
New php-forum User

Postby Batman » Tue Apr 22, 2003 8:48 am

Thanks for the feedback, guys. Good point about (admin) security. Looks like a mix may indeed me the best solution.
Batman
New php-forum User
New php-forum User

Postby Joan Garnet » Sun Apr 27, 2003 3:01 am

Then it would be nice to secure it a little bit more by using encryption methods such MD5, which comes by default in the php core. It makes everything less readable :D
urlencode is another option too.

Bye!
Joan Garnet

Return to mySQL & php coding