Ok, I made the suggested changes last night and blammo, the sql query works just fine now. Also, I figured out one way to keep the session alive (by embedding hidden text boxes on my page to temporarily hold my data for the next page), which I learned from another thread.
Anyway, now I'm working on learning validation, encryption, etc. in order to make the password process a little more secure. My ultimate goal is to produce an online self-publishing book review db for a local indymedia center, which would allow people to logon and post book reviews of relevant books and then edit or delete previously posted reviews . Any tips/suggestions on architecting this system would be great, but only if you have the time.
I'm kicking around ideas on how to automatically post a certain number of reviews at one time, like setting up some kind of date function that looks at today's date and posts everything from the preceeding month, for example. Another consideration is searchability, how to set up searches by date and so forth.
So anyway, your comments were right on the money, RedCircle; I wasn't aware of the case sensitive issue (obviously).