Board index   FAQ   Search  
Register  Login
Board index PHP PHP Installation

Apache DSO installation question

Forum for you who has PHP installation issues

Moderators: macek, egami, gesf

Apache DSO installation question

Postby AGISB » Fri Mar 19, 2004 1:25 am

I have different apache versions running on my FreeBSD machine for different sites. One version has mod_php4 compiled in but another has not. Rathter than compiling another apache binary I was thinking of using a mod_php4.so DSO for one of the binaries that does not have php already compiled in.

Now my question:

PHP install file states that I should not install DSO and compiled together. Does this mean together for one apache binary or does PHP have a problem with one binary using DSO and another the compiled in version on the same machine?
AGISB
New php-forum User
New php-forum User

Postby swirlee » Fri Mar 19, 2004 7:56 am

Running two copies of Apache concurrently is never necessary. Apache has configuration directives galore that make it possible to run as many sites as you can imagine on a single instance of Apache. I encourage you to take a look at the documentation. I think what you seem to be planning is going to turn out to be a huge headache in the long run.
swirlee

Postby AGISB » Fri Mar 19, 2004 8:44 am

Unfotunately I am stuck with it as my server was configured with the setup a long time ago and the admin person is now longer available.

The reason seemed to be that the server was configured back in 97 when Apache didn't use the DSO modules yet. So you had to be compile different binaries if you didn't want to use all the required modules all the time to safe memory.

Now I have the problem that it is a pain in the ass to change the whole configuration on a live server. If I cannot use php in a DSO and compiled in version at once (at least for the time of the config change) I would be stuck with compiling in PHP forever.
AGISB
New php-forum User
New php-forum User

Return to PHP Installation