What's the difference between VC6 and VC9?

Forum for you who has PHP installation issues

Moderators: egami, macek, gesf

lwalper
New php-forum User
New php-forum User

Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:26 am

I'm completely new at this and am downloading PHP and am confused from the git-go ... What's the difference between "thread safe" and "non thread safe" and VC6 and VC9 files? I have installed IIS, MySQL, and have downloaded and installed the VC9 msi file.

I created a very simple PHP page from the Dreamweaver tutorial that is supposed to display the current time. With my browser I can locate the file but for some reason it doesn't want to serve my page with the correct time displayed.

From the tutorial I read the line:
"In the PHP installation folder, locate the file called libmysql.dll and copy it to the C:\Windows\system32 folder. This file is required so that IIS can work with PHP 5 and MySQL."

I attempted to locate the libmysql.dll file, but it was non-existent, so could not be copied as required. Is that where my problem is? Where do I get this required file?

I'm running,
WinXP
IIS
IIS CGI with extensions installed on the HD
MySQL

Should I run Apache instead of IIS?

Sooo many questions .... ?

lwalper
New php-forum User
New php-forum User

Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:53 am

It looks like I need VC9 for WinXP, but I also read that "the VC9 versions require you to have the Microsoft 2008 C++ Runtime (x86)". Do I have that? Who knows?? And "thread safe" vs. "non thread safe" -- still a mystery.

lwalper
New php-forum User
New php-forum User

Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:03 am

So, I've downloaded the zip file of VC9, unzipped it and don't see any installation executable file? There is also no libmysql.dll file in the list. The install.txt file suggests using the msi file for installation instead of the zip file -- but I still have no libmysql.dll file. Where can I find it?

lwalper
New php-forum User
New php-forum User

Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:23 am

Found it! Yeay for me!! The libmysql.dll file is not in the PHP folder at all, but in the MySQL folder. Copied it into the Windows\System32 folder and ... presto, it works. Guess I can junk all the other stuff I downloaded.

• Information