Commercial BBS Work. Great for portfolios, fun job.

Forum to require and offer php jobs. Are you searching for php developers to make or complete your php script ? This place is for you.

Moderators: macek, egami, gesf

Mitch

Commercial BBS Work. Great for portfolios, fun job.

Postby Mitch » Thu Mar 04, 2004 10:44 pm

Hi,

This is about programming a commercial BBS. Its name is neuroboard and its development has already started a couple weeks ago. This is an unpaid job (for now) and you are allowed to do other projects while working with neuroboard, but itd also look very good on your portfolio. I hope to begin selling right away at version 1.0 stable but that is very far off yet.

To program this BBS you will need the knowledge in the following:
- Object oriented programming (classes)
- What a BBS is and how it works (relatively)
- DB query syntax (SQL-92 format since we're mainly dealing with mysql although other DB drivers will be made later )

Here is what I have done so far:
- Base system that handles sessions, skins, languages, headers, permissions, etc.
- Forum Listing is pretty much done except for last post
- Topic Listing is the same way
- Users online is done, so is per forum users online. Both can be enabled/disabled using the ACP.
- The skinning compiler is done and uses the same looking system as phpBB. Variables are defined per-page and there are Loops. Unlike phpBB there are IF statements and nested IF statements (per loop). The skinning is very complicated so dont worry if you dont understand that yet.
- Admin base system is done (their own session handling class. It shares skin, language, and header classes.)
- And a lot more smaller things

Like I said earlier, NB will not cost any money to use until a stable release. The beta releases will have 14 day time limits so people cant just use those forever. Encoding will be done using IonCube encoder (http://www.ioncube.com)

Please consider it and if you are even remotely interested contact me at my hotmail address (for now since neuroboard.com may be switching servers soon) xxxmxtremexxx@hotmail.com :)

Thanks,
Mitch

swirlee

Postby swirlee » Thu Mar 04, 2004 11:44 pm

So, let me get this straight.. you're asking programmers to write code for a product that you and only you will be making money off of. Eventually they might get paid, but for the work they do right now they'll not be compensated for? But you will, because you'll be selling their code once it hits 1.0? I just want to make sure I have the facts right. Correct me if I'm wrong..

Oh, but it'll look great in their portfolios...

Postby Guest » Fri Mar 05, 2004 10:04 pm

No the programmers will be paid at 1.0

swirlee

Postby swirlee » Fri Mar 05, 2004 10:23 pm

Note to anybody replying to this job offer: Review the contract very, very thoroughly and, if possible, have a lawyer (business law students will do in a pinch) go over it before you write a single line of code. This looks very much like the classic bait-and-switch. If there's no contract (gah!) or if the contract doesn't say precicely when you'll be paid and exactly how much, there's a million and one ways "Mitch" can get out of paying you. For example, what happens if you write a few thousand lines of code but, for whatever reason, you have quit before 1.0?

Oh, and it should be obvious that before writing any code you should get and verify not only his full name, mailing address, address of business operations, and phone numbers, but also his Social Security Number or, if he's running a real business, its Federal Tax ID number. Also, even if he's not paying you until this nebulous "1.0" date, you should get the tax forms filled out before you write any code, too.

Maybe I should just make this a sticky, as it should really be posted in every Jobs topic. Meh.

[Since I'm bored: http://www.easywhois.com/?domain=neuroboard.com]

Return to “PHP Jobs”