Learning a new language

Bar discussions . Talk about everything not only php !. Guests are welcome here , forum registration is not required.

Moderators: macek, egami, gesf

swirlee

Learning a new language

Postby swirlee » Mon Jan 12, 2004 2:30 pm

They say you should learn a new programming language every year. Among other things, it gives you perspective: you learn new ways to solve new problems. Several years ago I learned PHP (or, I started learning PHP -- I learn new things about it every week), and a little later I learned Java. Last year I learned C, though I only used it briefly and still hate pointers.

Anyway, I figure this year I'll try to pick up the slack. I thought about learning Python or Ruby. Python's definitely attractive -- big support community, really nice syntax. But today I stumbled upon Groovy. Groovy is sort of a Java/Python/Ruby hybrid. It runs on Java's JVM, but has a lot of constructs similar to Python. If you want to get a feel for it, check out the Quick Start Guide.

I've just installed it, so no field reports just yet. To run it, you have to have a newer version of the JRE (Java Runtime Environment) installed, which tripped me up a bit. I don't yet know how to get it running in a web environment, but hopefully it won't be too difficult -- I want to see how it compares to PHP's supereasy handling of such.

sigix
php-forum Active User
php-forum Active User

Postby sigix » Mon Jan 12, 2004 2:59 pm

-but pointers are the actual strength of c language
learning new stuff is really cool, unless you understand it well.
thanx for introducing new lang

swirlee

Postby swirlee » Mon Jan 12, 2004 3:09 pm

sigix wrote:but pointers are the actual strength of c language

Yes, quite. I just never took the time to really get comfortable with their use.

By the way, I've found that the Beta 1 binaries that I downloaded are pretty buggy and the thing (so I'm told, I'm still in the process) to do is to install the latest Beta 3 snapshot using Maven.

sigix
php-forum Active User
php-forum Active User

Postby sigix » Mon Jan 12, 2004 3:15 pm

yah it will take time for better lang.
also java is still in top 5 most used lang.

liquedus
php-forum Active User
php-forum Active User

Postby liquedus » Tue Jan 13, 2004 7:36 pm

C++ was my first lang then came Assembly followed by C... not exactly the way I would have picked them up but that was the curriculum where I studied, I also had 2 semesters of Java but didnt have a chance to put it to use after I finished.... this year its ColdFusion which is big with the clients that my employer has... oh well, PHP on the back burner for a bit..... :?

sigix
php-forum Active User
php-forum Active User

Postby sigix » Wed Jan 14, 2004 1:19 am

yah c/c++ are very good language, java is also made in c,php is also in, i think everything is in c :roll:
I have not yet studied CF, how is it liquedus, is it cool than php :?:

liquedus
php-forum Active User
php-forum Active User

Postby liquedus » Wed Jan 14, 2004 6:16 pm

So far I have only had the chance to do basic SQL query and display the data, and also some small processing. I am still in the process of familiarizing myself with the client base tho, so I am currently all over the place :? Although I would like to see the true power of CF... and no way, PHP is way cooler.... :wink:

Oleg Butuzov
Last Samuray
Last Samuray

Postby Oleg Butuzov » Mon Feb 02, 2004 3:26 am

i am going to learn Java (http://java.sun.com) (as for trus just Java Server Pages it not same) and Parser (http://www.parser.ru) - ArtLebedev design studio product...

ruturajv
php-forum Super User
php-forum Super User

java me tooo

Postby ruturajv » Mon Feb 02, 2004 5:21 am

yeh me too.... for the java bandwagon

swirlee

Postby swirlee » Mon Feb 02, 2004 1:58 pm

Pejone, what is Parser? Is there an English site for it?

I really enjoy programming in Java, and it has certain features that I miss when coming back to PHP. It really feels like a "solid" language to code in. I've never used JSP (could never get Tomcat to work on my system), but it seems to me like overkill to use something as heavy as Java for the sorts of web projects that I do.

Oleg Butuzov
Last Samuray
Last Samuray

Postby Oleg Butuzov » Tue Feb 03, 2004 3:09 am

1) parser - PAF Alexander Petrosian author of Parser say me that curently thay are translate a manual. as he say 70% work done.

-as for Tomcat what problems you have?

swirlee

Postby swirlee » Tue Feb 03, 2004 12:08 pm

I just had installation difficulties with Tomcat, but that was about two years ago; I could probably figure it out if I tried again, but right now I don't have any need.

Return to “Free time”