Would you have agreed to do this project in 3 weeks?

Bar discussions . Talk about everything not only php !. Guests are welcome here , forum registration is not required.

Moderators: macek, egami, gesf

carvingcode
New php-forum User
New php-forum User

Would you have agreed to do this project in 3 weeks?

Postby carvingcode » Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:19 am

This project was presented to me. They want it developed and deployed in less than 3 weeks. I'm curious if there's many here who would have said 'Yes'.

* Password-protected, multi-uiser web site (LAMP)
* Web site will be able to show a real-time timeline of crisis and emergency events as they occur. Anyone with access can add to the timeline.
* Color-coding can be used for different organizations so that when anyone adds to the timeline it will instantly be obvious who added the information. The site must continuously update for all viewers as information is added.
* Need ability to print out timeline of events at any time as an independent document.
* The site needs to have an area where all viewers can see all pending news releases from any organization, and all distributed news releases, and print out as independent documents.
* Need to be able to view social media interactions from each organization and aggregate content together.
* Need to have area where command decisions may be posted by those in the command center, and seen by all who have access.
* Need to add a section with incoming feeds from "Google Alerts", where the name of the crisis or event indicates stories appearing.
* Need to develop website with long-term intentions to make site usable on mobile devices.

What's the verdict? TIA

seandisanti
php-forum Fan User
php-forum Fan User

Re: Would you have agreed to do this project in 3 weeks?

Postby seandisanti » Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:41 pm

I'm fairly ambitious and think most things can be done in very short order if done correctly. That said, there are a lot of moving parts there and even if you somehow had a mind meld with the client that enabled you to do exactly what they wanted the first time every time, 3 weeks is really not a lot of time for development and testing. Things don't typically work that way though, and the closer you get to what the client describes on the first pass, the more likely you are to have scope creep when they realize you can deliver on what they ask for. Then they start thinking of other ways to improve on it etc. I'm not saying it's impossible, but I definitely think that you were right to pass on it.

Return to “Free time”