Board index   FAQ   Search  
Register  Login
Board index php forum :: php coding PHP coding => General

Security and mysql

Ask about general coding issues or problems here.

Moderators: macek, egami, gesf

Security and mysql

Postby Steff » Fri Sep 05, 2003 12:29 am

Hello

I search documentation which tell about security of mysql data. I explain me :

Before I use php. I only work with odbc and database, so my data are protected. When I see we can access directly to mysql data with mysql... function, I ask myself about security : we can read the password under php page and then go to mysqladmin and see data, No? Can you tell me more?

Thanks
Cordially
Steff
Steff
New php-forum User
New php-forum User

Postby sigix » Fri Sep 05, 2003 2:31 am

better read the security concerns from mysql official site
:arrow: :idea:
sigix
php-forum Active User
php-forum Active User

Re: Security and mysql

Postby Redcircle » Fri Sep 05, 2003 3:51 pm

Steff wrote:Hello

I search documentation which tell about security of mysql data. I explain me :

Before I use php. I only work with odbc and database, so my data are protected. When I see we can access directly to mysql data with mysql... function, I ask myself about security : we can read the password under php page and then go to mysqladmin and see data, No? Can you tell me more?

Thanks
Cordially
Steff

It all depends on your servers security. Mysql requires a username and password to access data. If you have your username and password in a world readable directory it is possible that another user on your server can view that pw BUT if you do not keep that kind of info in a world readable dir you are for the most part safe. I am not too firmilar with odbc but I am pretty sure most of them require a username and pw just like mysql does. unless of course you are accessing an access database.. tell ya the truth I've never really used access except for the stupid database class I took.
Redcircle

Return to PHP coding => General