Good practices and coding style

Ask about general coding issues or problems here.

Moderators: egami, macek, gesf

Squire
New php-forum User
New php-forum User

Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:58 pm

Hello guys. I'm new at this forum and I hope to stay learning here for a long time, and, in a future, be helpful to new programmers.

I've been practicing html and css; now I jumped to my first programming language: PHP.

I would like to learn how to properly code and all the good practices. I want to extrapolate all that learning to a new language in the future (maybe JavaScript)

Can someone recommend me an updated guide/documentation web?

Thanks and sorry for my english :)

chorn
php-forum Fan User
php-forum Fan User

Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:14 am

Best Practice: have a research first and tell what you have already learned by yourself.

zaim
New php-forum User
New php-forum User

Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:17 am

You might want to get exposed with MySQL first of all then you can get to the very basic of PHP.

Metaphor,
MySQL is a warehouse where you store all your stuff (information).
PHP is like those forklifts that will carry your stuff to the warehouse (MySQL).

Hah, sorry for that. Try to learn MySQL then you will understand what I am trying to tell you about. :?

P.S. I found it is easier to use PHP directly without any framework at first but later when you got yourself a stable understanding regarding PHP then you might want to try Laravel or Codeigniter.
Sorry if my answers aren't top notch but I will try my best to help anyone in need. :oops:

Squire
New php-forum User
New php-forum User

Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:30 pm

zaim wrote:
You might want to get exposed with MySQL first of all then you can get to the very basic of PHP.

Metaphor,
PHP is like those forklifts that will carry your stuff to the warehouse (MySQL).

Hah, sorry for that. Try to learn MySQL then you will understand what I am trying to tell you about. :?

P.S. I found it is easier to use PHP directly without any framework at first but later when you got yourself a stable understanding regarding PHP then you might want to try Laravel or Codeigniter.
Hey, thanks ! I know a little about MySQL right now. I'm taking programming classes oriented to web development. But at that moment I couldn't afford to get the MySQL class, my classmates took it before start with PHP. I'm right now on PHP and learning MySQL while we're going throught the class but It hasn't been that hard.

Thanks again :)

zaim
New php-forum User
New php-forum User

Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:00 am

Squire wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:30 pm
zaim wrote:

Metaphor,

Hey, thanks ! I know a little about MySQL right now. I'm taking programming classes oriented to web development. But at that moment I couldn't afford to get the MySQL class, my classmates took it before start with PHP. I'm right now on PHP and learning MySQL while we're going throught the class but It hasn't been that hard.

Thanks again :)
No worries about the fee tho, there are still plenty of free educational video out there. Don't bother to spend on something very basic, I have been using free open-source framework, applications, educational videos throughout my career as web developer and it has been a great run for me. You will just need some time to search tho unlike paid lessons that will teach you step by step without needing to search the content you need to know. Good luck!
Sorry if my answers aren't top notch but I will try my best to help anyone in need. :oops: