Board index   FAQ   Search  
Register  Login
Board index php forum :: php coding PHP coding => General

PHP forum- Construction q...

Ask about general coding issues or problems here.

Moderators: macek, egami, gesf

PHP forum- Construction q...

Postby kinkikids » Sun Jul 13, 2003 12:24 am

i need to construct a php forum, something similar but much simpler php-forum. where should i start? should i code it word by word using notepad or there is some specific software for it? heard that there are open source, can somebody suggest a link to those sources? how long would u think to complete such a php forum? can i finish within 1 month? i dun hav much knowledge of php, but i hav quite a foundation of asp.

what is the documentation i need in the design phase? do i need to construct DFD, ERD, DSD or other diagrams for this? is this thingy call a " web system" or there hav other name for it? can some1 suggest some good site on how to draw this diagrams? coz i only know how to draw these diagram in the off-line systems that involved hard copy, but never try out b4 in the web system...

maybe u have been confuse of my q, actually i need some guide on the Designing Phase and the Coding phase in the SDLC stages.. hopefully some experience programmers can give me a brief walktru...

thanks.
kinkikids
New php-forum User
New php-forum User

Postby swirlee » Sun Jul 13, 2003 9:13 am

Wow. That's quite a long question with quite a lot of acronyms that I rarely see PHP developers use. We tend to be a lazy lot when it comes to diagramming, etc., at least with small projects. To be honest, there really isn't such a thing as a "brief walkthru" to software design. But in the end what design methodology you use is up to you. If you really know what all those acronyms mean (I knew about half without looking them up), then you seem to have some background with them. If you're intent on using a rigid design methodology with an acronym for a name then what I recommend, really, is purchasing (or borrowing or renting, as they can be quite expensive) some software design textbooks. Find a methodology that suits you and stick to it. Most PHP books don't discuss higher-level things like that, but there are many software design books out there that are non-language-specific, and the principles can be applied to most any language.

Sorry I can't give you an overview, but it's just too broad a topic to describe well in this space. But do come back if you have more specific questions regarding PHP.
swirlee

Postby kinkikids » Tue Jul 15, 2003 12:02 pm

hey thanks for ur reply. i'm actually a competer science degree final year student, from malaysia. Coding i think is no prob for me... but the thingy is the early planning part, which have to be trully well organised, before i could start coding, such as how to describe the login screen (the user id + password -> some database -> validation -> retreiving data -> formating data-> provide session key) soso kinda stuff. Actually i can do without it but, maybe when it comes to a larger project in the future, i might still need to expose to this kinda thingy... so i think i better start it now...:) :cool:
kinkikids
New php-forum User
New php-forum User

Postby DigitalRice » Thu Jul 17, 2003 4:22 pm

hey Kinkikids,

i'm writing my own website from scatch too, you and i are having a lot in common, i'm in my last year of school too.... anyway, design an website seem very trivial at first, but as most of us when we start to develop something, we always assume that it's going to be basic, not a lot of functionalities, but the final product end up a mess because during the phase of writing code, we might want to add here and there a bit more.... like an animate picture or some sort...then you end up can't keep track of what you intentionally to do...
anyway, what i think you should do is narrow down what you want for your website, design a lay out first. how it should look purely html and if you want it look nicer like php-forum.com then you might add CSS along too.(these should look very pretty, like professional website) make sure that everything is display as you wanted. don't bother to the logical part until you satify of what your website should be. then come to the logical part, design database, and all other stuff.
i'm working on the logical part of my website now, and it seem very easy because you have your website layout already. the tedious part is the layout, becuase you need to layout where should the message be, the font, bold or not and all the other crap....

anyway, good luck
DigitalRice
New php-forum User
New php-forum User

Return to PHP coding => General