Problems with the ipad/iphone and my new website

Ask about general coding issues or problems here.

Moderators: macek, egami, gesf

barricades
New php-forum User
New php-forum User

Problems with the ipad/iphone and my new website

Postby barricades » Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:40 am

Hi all. I've just finished coding up my first proper website and having tested it on all the browsers you can install on a windows PC I was hoping that things would go painlessly. Not so...

When I borrowed my friends ipad and looked the page took an absolute age to load. And sometimes it wouldn't load at all. After checking other websites etc I'm sure it's not the connection. I have some Javascript I had never used before, could this be causing the problem? Sometimes it looks like it's taking a long time loading the FB, google and twitter buttons. Do they cause problems on iphones and ipads?

Unfortunately my problem is made worse because I can't easily get my hands on an ianything as I don't own one myself and all the emulators/simulators I've found don't appear to be 100% authentic. So it'd even be useful if someone could tell me if they have problems too.

Can anyone help me out?
the site's at www.traditionalirishgifts.com

I'd appreciate it :)

simplypixie
php-forum Active User
php-forum Active User

Re: Problems with the ipad/iphone and my new website

Postby simplypixie » Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:38 pm

Firstly I want to say it is a lovely website and if that is your first then fantastic.

A couple of things to think about for the future (and change in this site)

1. Load all your external js files and run all your 'inline' scripts at the bottom of your page (just before the closing body tag). Please test before putting live, just in case there are any external files that do need to be loaded before the rest of the page. I would also try and move your 'inline' scripts into an external file and load it once to clean things up.

2. You have 5 separate style sheets loading and each time you load an external file (this also applies to your javascript/jquery files) it is another call to the server, each time slowing down the page load time. I highly recommend merging as many of your stylesheets together as you can so you have fewer calls to the server. Also, are you really sure you need to have stylesheets for all those old versions of IE (mostly, if really required, you can get away with having one for IE8 or earlier).

I have checked on my ipad and yes it does load quite slowly and probably takes about 15 seconds longer than it should.

I have also noticed that you seem to have a hell of a lot of code in your page compared to the amount of content viewable - are you sure all of it is needed?

Try running the site through YSlow as well to see if that helps.

barricades
New php-forum User
New php-forum User

Postby barricades » Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:07 pm

Hey there, thanks so much for your feedback. I can't take credit for the design though, got a designer to do that, I was trying to learn how to code it all, or at least sharpening my limited skills. This was my first site with javascript and some custom coding rather than default shopping cart type thing.

I thought I was being clever separating it all out but I totally see your point now. D'oh.

I don't suppose you were testing it on an ipad or iphone? I borrowed a friends for an hour or so and it just didn't load half the time. I'm having problems finding a way of emulating it that does so precisely.

Thanks again for the suggestions. Off to YSlow I go!

simplypixie
php-forum Active User
php-forum Active User

Postby simplypixie » Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:12 pm

I did mention that I tested it on an ipad and was slower to load than it should have been :)

seandisanti
php-forum Fan User
php-forum Fan User

Postby seandisanti » Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:19 pm

pingdom.com has a neat tool to test the load time of pages also. it shows the individual load times of each of your 89 separate requests on the home page and offers some suggestions to increase your speed. Here's the report for your site. http://tools.pingdom.com/fpt/#!/Jy4BWpU ... gifts.com/

Return to “PHP coding => General”