Web Developer job questions

Ask about general coding issues or problems here.

Moderators: egami, macek, gesf

egami
php-forum GURU
php-forum GURU

Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:25 am

1. If English is your native language, you desperately need to learn how to spell.
- If you have spelling and grammar errors on your resume; it will end up in the trash and you'll never receive a call.
- Any correspondence between you and a potential employer would need to be checked. (heh)

2. An employer can tell if you know or don't know what you're doing. But you should have at least three websites in operation, and access to the source code. You don't have to show them the whole thing, in fact, I wouldn't. But I would share with them the trials and troubles you had creating the website, and what you did to overcome them and explain some of your code, should they ask.

3. You seem motivated, and that's step #1. I myself am a Enterprise Network Engineer, and only do coding to take up my slack time (since my network doesn't break down, I get bored easily). That's the #1 key tho, let them know you're motivated, a self starter and that you're willing to do what it takes to be #1.

Hope that helps.
Nullsig
php-forum GURU
php-forum GURU

Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:10 pm

As someone who just graduated and just got my first (official) coding position:

1. I applied at quite a few place but, when it came down to it, I stayed with the company I interned with. They knew what I had coded for them so I didn't really need a portfolio but my situation is unique as I am really the only person who can "code" here

All in all, you need to tailor your portfolio and resume for the job you are applying for. Don't bring an portfolio fully or artsy websites trying to get a coding job, most employers I interacted with didn't care how cute the sites were, they wanted to see how it worked.

2. & 3. If you are worried about your skill level it means you are probably going to fall into the "Junior Web Developer" bracket. Once you have a few complex projects under your belt you won't feel that doubt in your ability. Confidence in what you can do and ability to admit your short falls are both things an employer will appreciate. Don't sell yourself short though. A lot of times where you "need to be" and where you are probably are a couple of google searches apart.

4. This depends on the size of your company and their level of organization. Sometimes you will be in charge of an entire project. Other times you will program a certain class containing functions used else where in a project.

5. Once again this scales with the size of the project. In the environment I work in the schedule is always ASAP but that fluctuates between "OMG WHERE IS IT?!?!" to "Hey how is that project coming along?"

With complex code, hang ups are expected, especially if the code isn't planned out. Whenever I get stuck I troll these forums and try to work out the problem from different angles.
Nullsig
php-forum GURU
php-forum GURU

Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:26 am

Nothing like school.

One day I am working on simple additions to the site like hover-over JQuery style stuff. The next I am designing large systems that have to interface directly with our ERP. The next I get stuck doing tedious data-entry.
ravisoni6262
New php-forum User
New php-forum User

Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:45 am

web developers has a great career option because the world in becomeing online eveyone wants to create their space in this world so don't worry developers keep updating your skill with newest technology that has evolved and make useful application.