PHP Versions

Ask about general coding issues or problems here.

Moderators: egami, macek, gesf

Neil
New php-forum User
New php-forum User

Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:54 am

I'm slightly confused.

I'm developing an application in PHP and have seen that new versions of PHP can drop functions (so they are no longer available). My question is, if my application uses one of those dropped functions, and then I update the PHP version used on the server (or the ISP does), then whats going to stop my application breaking?

Is there some sort of protocol involved in this sort of thing? Do i just stick with the same version of PHP forever (which my ISP won't do anyway), or am I going to have to fix code forever?

You thoughts would be much appreciated as I'm pretty new to projects using PHP.

hyper
php-forum Active User
php-forum Active User

Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:19 am

You'll have to keep on top of any changes from php.net and your server; whilst it might sound difficult or impossible, the reality is that the changes take years to implement and there is plenty of notice.

Upcoming changes are marked for deprecation, and finally removed sometime later to allow time to make changes (by testing on a separate server, e.g. on your own pc), and any changes to be made are most currently available versions - the reason for removal is mainly that of security so it's no bad thing.

Strider64
php-forum Active User
php-forum Active User

Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:49 am

hyper wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:19 am
You'll have to keep on top of any changes from php.net and your server; whilst it might sound difficult or impossible, the reality is that the changes take years to implement and there is plenty of notice.

Upcoming changes are marked for deprecation, and finally removed sometime later to allow time to make changes (by testing on a separate server, e.g. on your own pc), and any changes to be made are most currently available versions - the reason for removal is mainly that of security so it's no bad thing.
Huh? No bad thing, because it was only security changes? Am I reading this wrong? :o

chorn
php-forum Active User
php-forum Active User

Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:12 am

Neil wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:54 am
or am I going to have to fix code forever?
as in every other software development, this is the way you go. frequency may change from platform to platform.

Neil
New php-forum User
New php-forum User

Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:52 am

Thanks for the replies.

It's more or less what I thought the answer would be. At least it keeps me in work lol.

• Information