Register  Login
Board index php forum :: php coding PHP coding => Mail

PHP and Outlook Encryption

the mail() function

Moderators: macek, egami, gesf

PHP and Outlook Encryption

Postby steve_n » Wed Nov 23, 2005 12:46 am

:help:

I need to send an email from a PHP site, to an Outlook 2002 system, but I need to encrypt it, as it contains personnal data.
Does anyone please know of a way to do this?
steve_n
New php-forum User
New php-forum User

Postby Alexej Kubarev » Wed Nov 23, 2005 2:15 pm

what do you mean by personal data?
Outlook doesnt have any ecription. Unless you mean the SSL certificated used for emails. but its not the outlook encriptiona s you refere to it
Please be more specific
Alexej Kubarev
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby steve_n » Thu Nov 24, 2005 12:29 am

I need a way of sending data securely from a php based mail send to Outlook.

The data is personal information like address, telephone number, etc. It is not sending financial info yet, but this is a possible future development.

Can you help?
steve_n
New php-forum User
New php-forum User

Postby Alexej Kubarev » Thu Nov 24, 2005 9:40 am

The problem is that you cant just say that it will send to Outlook
It can be a webmail and such. You will NEVER know what client a person is using.

The secure way... well.. how about sending a link to some page that will require a password and a username to be accessed. That page will have all the information. I dont know what else you could do. You may want to look at your SMTP server settigns to see what you can do there. SMTP servers use SSL Certificates as i recall..
Alexej Kubarev
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Redcircle » Sun Nov 27, 2005 1:52 pm

I agree.. imho email is not secure at all.. you shouldn't send critial info via email even if it is encrypted.
Redcircle

Postby gesf » Sun Nov 27, 2005 4:58 pm

I agree too!
The best option is, no doubt, providing an online and secured (at least username/password) way, so user can get access to this kind of information.
Also my guess is there must be some XSD trick to provide/delivering this data in some way, however... i'm not sure about my ideas! :?
gesf

Postby steve_n » Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:12 am

Firstly, can I say thanks to everyone for their comments on this issue, it is really appreciated...

Alexei Kubarev wrote:The problem is that you cant just say that it will send to Outlook
It can be a webmail and such. You will NEVER know what client a person is using.

The email will always go to an Outlook client. basically the email will be sent to a set email address, where I know the receiving client is Outlook.

Alexei Kubarev wrote:The secure way... well.. how about sending a link to some page that will require a password and a username to be accessed. That page will have all the information. I dont know what else you could do. You may want to look at your SMTP server settigns to see what you can do there. SMTP servers use SSL Certificates as i recall..

I will see if the SMTP server that my site is using will use SSL Certificates.

Cheers everyone
steve_n
New php-forum User
New php-forum User

Return to PHP coding => Mail