Board index   FAQ   Search  
Register  Login
Board index php forum :: php coding PHP coding => Images

To preload or not to preload, that is the question.

images php coding issues or problems here.

Moderators: macek, egami, gesf

To preload or not to preload, that is the question.

Postby tryton » Tue Aug 26, 2003 6:25 am

This is not exactly a php question, but I only subscribe to a few forums. So, I apologize if this is a bad question to ask here. I thought this was the closest thing to my subject.

Anyhow, on my website, I use JPEGs because a lot of my images are photographs of products, but what is this thing about preloading images?? Should I preload the images or not?? I have tested my website on various platforms including IE and Netscape, but not on line speed.

So, if anyone out there has a 56 kbps or even a 33.6 kbps line, please visit the site at the bottom and tell me how long it took to load the pages, was it too long or fine?? Greatly appreciate it.
tryton
New php-forum User
New php-forum User

Postby pootergeist » Tue Aug 26, 2003 7:02 am

if they are just photos then no you shouldn't preload.

preloading is used so that an image is cached ready for when a page needs it - such as mouseover navigation buttons. As they change when the mouse runs over them, preloading is used so that they don't have to be downloaded at the time of mouseover and thus allows the script to run smoother.

some people also use preloading for slideshows though only preloading the next sequential image is normally considered a better idea.
pootergeist
New php-forum User
New php-forum User

Postby swirlee » Tue Aug 26, 2003 7:03 am

Preloading images is only really useful in two scenarios:

1) Slideshows or presentations, where you know what page (and what images) are the next that will be shown.

2) JavaScript rollovers. In this scenario, you preload images so that there's no load-delay when the visitor rolls over the image.

Unless you have one of these situations, preloading images won't do you much good.
swirlee

Postby tryton » Tue Aug 26, 2003 8:34 am

I bet myself that swirlee would be the first to answer my question, but low and behold, pootergeist was first.

Thank you both for the info.

Still, anyone with a 56 kbps or slower line, please give me some feedback on the site load time. Appreciative.
tryton
New php-forum User
New php-forum User

Postby swirlee » Tue Aug 26, 2003 9:29 am

Looks like pootergeist posted his while I was typing mine. Damn near the same post, too. :)
swirlee

Return to PHP coding => Images