Board index   FAQ   Search  
Register  Login
Board index PHP PHP General

Desktop PHP Compiler

General discussions related to php

Moderators: macek, egami, gesf

Desktop PHP Compiler

Postby MrBucket » Fri Nov 01, 2002 9:13 am

I am just getting started in the wonderful world of PHP. Normally I put together all of my websites using Notepad and save it as an .html file on my desktop to open it and view it before uploading it to the server. I wrote my first PHP and just as I had expected upon opening it I would find that any of the PHP commands didn't work unless I opened it on the PHP enabled server.
Does a PHP compiler or PHP server emulator exist for Windows 98? If so, where's the best place to find one? I am not interested in a PHP editor.
I am still new at this so chances are I am not using the correct terminology. I am sure this has probably been discussed on the forum before but I couldn't find any threads relating to it. If you could link me to such a thread I would appreciate it greatly.
MrBucket
New php-forum User
New php-forum User

Postby DoppyNL » Fri Nov 01, 2002 9:40 am

php has to be shown by a server and cannot be shown like html-files from your desktop.
You can install a webserver on your computer wich has php and use that to test your scripts.
You can also use a good editor wich knows php and can check your code for errors and (I believe some editors can) show the file itself.

I personnaly use a normal editor with only syntax highlighting (UltraEdit)
and test my scripts on my webserver.

Maybe someone else has some specific ready-to-use solutions.

Greetz Daan
DoppyNL

Postby Jay » Fri Nov 01, 2002 2:08 pm

You can install PWS on Windows 98, it's on the CD in the extras folder (something like that). Then install PHP and you'll have your own server.

You can also use Zend Studio to develop your scripts, it'll execute them and display the results for you!
Jay

Postby DutchBen » Sat Nov 02, 2002 9:14 am

I think the easiest thing to do is to use PhpTriad, its one package that will install Php, Apache (webserver) and MySQL so you'll have all the tools you need to get started with Php. Information and a story about a fat man can be found at http://www.phpgeek.com or download directly from http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=9325&release_id=75430
DutchBen
New php-forum User
New php-forum User

Return to PHP General