Board index   FAQ   Search  
Register  Login
Board index PHP PHP General

Two problems on the new server.

General discussions related to php

Moderators: macek, egami, gesf

Two problems on the new server.

Postby csmith3pmg » Wed Oct 23, 2002 9:47 am

I'm not sure if this is a PHP problem or an apache problem. I've done a fair amount of PHP coding and I'm getting pretty good at it but it has always been with the same host. I'm now doing PHP development on a different server and I'm running into two problems that may or may not be related.

First, index.php will not load automatically if I put only the path to it in the URL. I have to actually use something like http://www.thisismysite.com/index.php to see my page. If I do this then everything appears correctly.

Second, if I use internet explorer and add the index.php to the urls everything works great. If I use netscape then I constantly get errors saying things like: The requested method POST is not allowed for the URL /phonenotes/index.html. I'm using frames and index.html is the outer page with the frameset but the page with the form and that is being posted to is a php file with a .php extension. I have tried copying the index.html to index.php and running that but I get the same error.

Any ideas would be appreciated,
Chris S
csmith3pmg
New php-forum User
New php-forum User

Postby Jay » Thu Oct 24, 2002 2:05 am

It's a bad idea to name multiple files index, the server (and you) will get confused as to which to serve and it'll follow a strict hierarchy. Change the names and only leave the index as index! Then get back to us!
Jay

Postby DoppyNL » Fri Oct 25, 2002 1:59 am

In de Apache configuration there is a setting in wich you can set wich files should be returned as index when no file is specified.
There can me multiple files in there, something like this:

settings-name = index.html index.htm index.php

when no file is requested, apache will look for index.html, if it is not found it will look for index.htm and so on.
As Jay allready suggested, you should only place 1 index file in each folder. This to avoid problems when the setting is changed (without you knowing it).
You probably want to use index.html (for you're frame) and page.php (for the actual content?)

Greetz Daan
DoppyNL

Return to PHP General