Board index   FAQ   Search  
Register  Login
Board index PHP PHP General

Idea, is it possible?

General discussions related to php

Moderators: macek, egami, gesf

Idea, is it possible?

Postby Insolence » Wed Aug 27, 2003 9:07 pm

I got a really good idea for my script, and wanted to ask you PHP Gurus how it would be done, if its even possible..

I want my clients to be able to use the script, add clan ranks, # of points to earn the rank, amount of access aquired when rank is earned. I also want them to be able to have many variations of this, and how points are earned.. like they get so many points from wining a match in a tournament, and so many for getting a recruit, maybe even some points if their recruit is good, and wins alot of tournament matches.

Also, i want to know if its okay, to be running 8 mySQL tables for my script, is that alot/too many?
Insolence
New php-forum User
New php-forum User

ranks

Postby ruturajv » Wed Aug 27, 2003 9:23 pm

hello,
it is perfectly alright if you are using 8 tables IF THEY ARE STORING DIFFERENT ISSUES

you can use a table as this
Code: Select all
+----------+----------+
|  user       |   points    |
+----------+----------+

u can then update the points depending upon your criteria
ruturajv
php-forum Super User
php-forum Super User

Postby swirlee » Wed Aug 27, 2003 9:31 pm

Yes, it's possible. It'll also be very difficult. You're going to end up having to learn a lot about MySQL. Think about buying a database design book (e.g. not a PHP/MySQL book, but a hardcore DBM book). It's my experience that most PHP/MySQL books just glaze over the most useful parts of MySQL, things like JOINs and VIEWs and so forth.
swirlee

Postby Insolence » Wed Aug 27, 2003 9:32 pm

Yeah i thought it would work, just was worried there was such thing as mysql overload or something ^_^..

anyway script can be seen here http://www.insolence9.com/is_clan/
(login as: testing/test)

nothing on index.php works, pages that work on admin_main : news variables page, members adding/removing/modifing, thats it so far, everything else is just blank/will give you an error.

Try to find any security holes i didnt think of (i.e. deleting an admin, changing access things like that)

EDIT: Swirlee posted at the exact same time I did -.-

What would i need to learn? My book (PHP and MYSQL Web developement) seems to cover it very nicely. Im pretty sure i could Add a rank, add a few set values to it (amount of points to earn, how many points are earned doing what) and just reading through it when generating members page.. but all that could get REAL complicated, i suppose.
Insolence
New php-forum User
New php-forum User

Postby swirlee » Wed Aug 27, 2003 9:45 pm

Pretty impressive, Insolence. Must've take a lot of work and patience. One thing I've noticed is that you can log in as a user and then delete that user, but stay logged in as them. If I log in as 'swirlee' and then delete the 'swirlee' account, I figure it ought to log me out since my account no longer exists.

A lot of the pages (e.g. "MEMBER ADDED!") are dead ends -- there's no link or button to get back to the main page.

When a user enters invalid information on a form (like the user level form) it shouldn't just take them to a dead-end page that says "you must enter all of the information" or whatnot -- it should take them back to the form (already filled out with the values they entered) and mark the ones which are invalid. For an example, try registering a new account with this forum, but skip required fields or enter invalid information and see what happens. This is called smart form validation (there are tons of tutorials and software packages for this), and will save your users a lot of frustration.
swirlee

phpBB

Postby ruturajv » Wed Aug 27, 2003 10:13 pm

I recommend you to download phpBB, It is a forum using MySQL and PHP if you have noticed this forum is also based on it.

try going through its code, it will not only give you lots of ideas but also make you understand how coding is to be done

right swirlee :?: :D
ruturajv
php-forum Super User
php-forum Super User

Postby Insolence » Wed Aug 27, 2003 10:42 pm

I'll fix that member delete/create thing today, I don't think ill be starting on the forums for a while ^_^..

Anyway, i dont think i wanna go through the trouble of smart validation, but i can add 'go back to where you were' after something has been successfully done.. i think having errors in red, successes in green, is a pretty good system, lol

EDIT: Done added
Code: Select all
echo "<a href=javascript:history.back()>Go back?</a>";
to each error checking code.

I was thinking i could add: ' You did not enter the desired information, in these fields:' something like that, maybe in later versions, i REALLY just want meat and potatoes in this one, more security/speed in the later versions, i suppose ^_^.. by the way, i think i did real well on installation, it takes about 2 minutes, and your done, upload everything make a database, change a few settings, boom done :)

I'm going to go work on changing passwords, brb :)

Password changing, done, next up, displaying recent updates on the admin page..
Insolence
New php-forum User
New php-forum User

Return to PHP General