Board index   FAQ   Search  
Register  Login
Board index PHP PHP General

Today's News: plPHP, BinaryPHP, MozPHP, PHP Weekly Summary

General discussions related to php

Moderators: macek, egami, gesf

Today's News: plPHP, BinaryPHP, MozPHP, PHP Weekly Summary

Postby swirlee » Tue Aug 12, 2003 7:55 am

I've collected a bit of interesting news today, and I thought I'd post it. Maybe I'll do so every few days, as a regular little "feature". I encourage others to do the same with news, articles, and especially interesting tutorials that they find.

plPHP
Some folks have created plPHP, an implementation of PHP in PostgreSQL that allows you to use PHP as a language for creating functions in PostgreSQL. There's not a lot of information up yet, but you can view a few examples and download the source, etc. at the link above. It looks pretty straight-forward. I wish someone would do something like this for MySQL.

BinaryPHP
BinaryPHP allows you to convert your PHP scripts to compilable C++ source code. Right now it's only a proof-of-concept (it works, but only a few of PHP's many functions are working), but it looks promising, especially if coupled with something like PHP-GTK.

MozPHP
"MozPHP is a Mozilla PHP integration package. With MozPHP you can execute PHP scripts in Mozilla directly without the need for a local HTTP server." Right now it's one way (e.g. Mozilla can access PHP functions, etc., but PHP can't access Mozilla's), but this may change in the future. For now, though, it looks useful for things like kiosk and CD-ROM applications where you need the interactivity that PHP allows, but can't afford the overhead of a full-blown web server.

Wow, PHP is really showing up everywhere.

PHP Weekly Summary
And for those of you looking for a weekly PHP news fix, over at Zend.com there's the PHP Weekly Summary that includes news of new and developments in the PHP community, which is where I got the BinaryPHP link above.
swirlee

Re: Today's News: plPHP, BinaryPHP, MozPHP, PHP Weekly Summa

Postby WiZARD » Wed Aug 13, 2003 7:43 am

swirlee wrote:Wow, PHP is really showing up everywhere.

You only right now understand it?

P.S.
Nice links.....
WiZARD

Return to PHP General