Board index   FAQ   Search  
Register  Login
Board index PHP PHP General

Is there a news posting script that can use embedded fonts??

General discussions related to php

Moderators: macek, egami, gesf

Is there a news posting script that can use embedded fonts??

Postby tdv2 » Thu Jul 24, 2003 10:59 am

Cus my site has embedded fonts for the news and i tried some posting scripts but i cant seem to get it to work.
tdv2
New php-forum User
New php-forum User

Postby swirlee » Thu Jul 24, 2003 11:26 am

Though embedded fonts are not something which I know much about, I do know that news posting scripts allow you to define an HTML template, and in the HTML template you may embed the in the same manner as you are accustomed to doing in the rest or your site. It may require you to do so by writing the HTML manually, which can be a challenge if you're more accustomed to WYSIWYG tools, but the code is the same.
swirlee

Postby Boris Senker » Thu Jul 24, 2003 12:58 pm

One of the technologies you can use (successfully, I might add) is

http://www.microsoft.com/typography/web/embedding/

The page itself was designed around a simple HTML table. Cascading Style Sheet features were used to specify fonts and ensure the correct alignment of the text and symbols. At this stage the fonts used were all installed locally.

When we were happy with the copy and layout, we used a tool code-named Microsoft WEFT (Web Embedding Fonts Tool) to create 'font-objects' which were linked to the page. The WEFT tool analyzes the font usage of Web pages, gathers up the required characters from each font used and creates the compressed 'font objects'. It also modifies the HTML page by writing in the Cascading Style Sheet code linking the font objects to that page. If you use 'view source' on the demo page you'll see the format of the code added.

@font-face {
font-family: Goudy Stout;
font-style: normal;
font-weight: 700;
src: url(GOUDYST0.eot); }

So adding a linked CSS style to a desired element in news script layout should be easy and I couldn't think of the reason why ANY script wouldn't accept CSS. You can download the WEFT tool to create EOT file on the same place as above. This is a technology with the promised future and supports even new Adobe OpenType fonts.
Boris Senker
New php-forum User
New php-forum User

Postby tdv2 » Thu Jul 24, 2003 1:18 pm

I already have the font embedded...it shows up on my site fine for like my navigation and stuff but for the news posting im using the cute news news posting script and dont know where to put the css code at...
tdv2
New php-forum User
New php-forum User

Postby Boris Senker » Thu Jul 24, 2003 1:39 pm

@font-face

You can EITHER link it to an element of the included page OR an element of the main page that includes the content, depending of the structure. Since obviously you did the second and it doesn't work, it must be that the page that includes content into the main one has some CSS formatting specified?
Boris Senker
New php-forum User
New php-forum User

Postby tdv2 » Thu Jul 24, 2003 3:15 pm

this is all just too confusing
tdv2
New php-forum User
New php-forum User

Postby Boris Senker » Thu Jul 24, 2003 3:22 pm

Don't give up yet.

OK. You have succedded in embedding the font into the main page you did into which news is loaded, right? But you haven't succeeded to assign the same CSS to a page that news generates.

This means you have to take a look at the page news puts into yours. Look at the source and see if that page has inline or linked CSS. If not, try to add it to that page.

Gimme the link to the download page for that script let me see.
Boris Senker
New php-forum User
New php-forum User

Postby tdv2 » Thu Jul 24, 2003 5:37 pm

tdv2
New php-forum User
New php-forum User

Postby WiZARD » Sat Jul 26, 2003 12:36 am

if you want to change type of font (CSS) see in cutenews\skins files like default.skin.php and compact.skin.php
try change or create new one file with CSS builting.....
WiZARD

Postby tdv2 » Sun Jul 27, 2003 2:43 pm

wtf
tdv2
New php-forum User
New php-forum User

Postby swirlee » Sun Jul 27, 2003 7:47 pm

"wtf" isn't a reasonable response. it's neither a question nor a statement, and will never get you anywhere in any context.

WiZARD's advice seems correct. Open the files he mentions and edit the stylesheets to include the embedded fonts you wish to use. If you don't know CSS (that is, if you're trapped in 1999 and still using the <font> tag), try the excellent CSS tutorial to be found here.
swirlee

Postby tdv2 » Mon Jul 28, 2003 5:40 am

i was refering to how good his use of the english language is...and anyhow it still aint working...i dont know why i dont care so ill just do without.
tdv2
New php-forum User
New php-forum User

Return to PHP General