Register  Login
Board index PHP PHP General

Duplicating a current PHP site

General discussions related to php

Moderators: macek, egami, gesf

Duplicating a current PHP site

Postby Gorrod91 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:50 am

Hi everyone,

I have been approached to do a freelance job recently. The job requires duplicating a current site, which my client owns, it consists of mostly PHP with a small forum, members area etc etc. It basically needs copying, the databases emptying and completely re-styling but to keep a similar sort of functionality with a re-brand.

I was wondering how you would suggest I go about this? I have been doing a bit of research and found HTtrack but this appears to create static pages out of the PHP scripts so this would not work. The only way I can currently think would be to create a backup of the whole site from the cpanel access then duplicate this locally until it is ready to go live? Am I on the right sort of lines?

Thank you very much in advance for any advice you can supply.
Chris
Gorrod91
New php-forum User
New php-forum User

Re: Duplicating a current PHP site

Postby WOWDesigns » Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:13 am

Hi @Gorrod91

Yeah, I basically back up the entire site (database and files) and then put it either on my testing server or within another folder on the clients website called "test" or something. Then you simply create an additional database (uploading the old content into it) and point your config file to that. Then you are free to amend the duplicated files, without effecting the currently running website.

That way, if things are added to the existing database - whilst you are working on the new site - you simply point to it when uploading the new files. Obviously if you need to create new fields/tables, you can export these and upload to the old website DB.

Cheers
G
WOWDesigns
New php-forum User
New php-forum User

Return to PHP General