Board index   FAQ   Search  
Register  Login
Board index PHP PHP General

Getting Started

General discussions related to php

Moderators: macek, egami, gesf

Getting Started

Postby Crabbpower » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:14 pm

Hi, my first of hopefully many post on this forum.
I started learning PHP a month back and now feel that I have a fairly good grasp on the basics and some Intermediate skills of the language.
Now I want to get started challenging myself and try make a project that incorporates PHP, MySQL and maybe some JavaScript. But I don´t know where to start, what to make that needs the use of OOP and is maybe a good first time application to make.
Does anyone here have any ideas where to start implementing my skills? I´m not looking to change the world just test my boundaries and learn something while doing it.
Crabbpower
New php-forum User
New php-forum User

Re: Getting Started

Postby Strider64 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:25 pm

I started off creating a small blogging website http://www.rocketryoftech.com/ and wrote the code for it. I did it in OOP and I'm still not done, but the majority of the website is. While you don't have to do a blog, but maybe create a simple cms site, a shopping cart or a golf handicap system of a golf league. Something that incorporates MySQL and interactivity is where I would concentrate on. Along the way you learn something about internet security, I know I did.
Strider64
New php-forum User
New php-forum User

Postby Crabbpower » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:30 pm

CMS seems like a great plan, I can start out simple and expand I like the idea, thanks.
Crabbpower
New php-forum User
New php-forum User

Postby seandisanti » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:40 pm

Personally, when I'm starting with a new language, or more accurately a language that is new to me; i typically turn to challenge sites like http://projecteuler.net or forums like this one. either gives exposure to a lot of problems that you may or may not ever run into on your own, and presents you with a chance to work on targeted problem solving without necessarily getting sucked into a project that could eat up weeks or months of your time.
seandisanti
php-forum Fan User
php-forum Fan User

Postby Crabbpower » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:59 am

seandisanti wrote:Personally, when I'm starting with a new language, or more accurately a language that is new to me; i typically turn to challenge sites like http://projecteuler.net or forums like this one. either gives exposure to a lot of problems that you may or may not ever run into on your own, and presents you with a chance to work on targeted problem solving without necessarily getting sucked into a project that could eat up weeks or months of your time.

I like the idea of stick around here and see if I can solve some of the difficulties that people have. I might not know much but if I see something I can help with I might as well solve a problem for someone. Two good suggestion I´m almost ready to release a V0.1 of the CMS just need to secure my files so people can´t do malicious things to it.
Crabbpower
New php-forum User
New php-forum User

Postby gauravpanwar99 » Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:31 am

great ! you have learned the basics, so now you sholu move to cms and framework. you should start by yourself, or have some training for it. You can find a list here....
gauravpanwar99
New php-forum User
New php-forum User

Return to PHP General