Developing your own website

General discussions related to php

Moderators: egami, macek, gesf

bliss
New php-forum User
New php-forum User

Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:22 pm

Have you ever developed your own website from scratch? If so, what software did you use to make it? Personally anytime I have a new project I make the design from scratch and use Dreamweaver and Photoshop to do so :)

faust
New php-forum User
New php-forum User

Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:34 am

I used to do that too, but I found that Dreamweaver is best for designers and not real coding like php, asp, js and such. I use Eclipse (or if you preffer NetBeans). It has a lot more functionality that Dreamweaver, supports SVN, git etc. As for the design, photoshop is ok for the graphic design but I still code the css in eclipse by hand (I don't like some automated system writing it for me).
And last but not least - yes, I have done my own website from scratch. But lately, I found that this is not the best solution if you are working alone. There's nothing wrong with writing everything from scratch but why rediscovering the wheel? You should find a framework that works best for you, learn it and develop on top of it. I'm not talking about free ready cms like joomla / wordpress. I'm talking about framework like Prado, Yii, CodeIgniter, Laravel etc. I started learning Laravel and I think it's great for my needs. It's clean, written entirely on php 5.3, html5 support, easy to use, modular, mvc etc. Don't get me wront - there's nothing wrong in writing your php from scratch without any framework but it's harder to extend and support in the future.

• Information