Register  Login
Board index PHP PHP General

PHP vs ASP.NET

General discussions related to php

Moderators: macek, egami, gesf

PHP vs ASP.NET

Postby Eloff » Sun Mar 30, 2003 5:40 pm

I posted a question on a .net forum and got this reply:

"If you switched for MySql to MS SQL, used stored procedures, and converted the PHP code to ASP.NET, I'm sure you'd get a much faster execution time. Not to mention your source code will be way more organized and readable.

ASP.NET only compiles the code once (the first time it's run). After that, every request for the page calls the compiled code. So you don't need to worry about compile time.

I programmed PHP/MySql for about three years back in the day when it was still fairly new. Recently I've been toying with ASP.NET (I was never a big fan of ASP, mind you). I have to honestly say, ASP.NET just destroys PHP. Especially since it's all part of the .NET framework and all the code is basically the same no matter if you're programming a windows application or web application. It's good stuff.

Just to be fair, though, I haven't run any benchmarks to compare PHP and ASP.NET speed. But since ASP.NET is compiled I have no doubt it'll be faster. And, well, MS SQL > MySql period."

It seems silly that the php interpreter has to re-interpret everything each time a page is requested, surely it does the same as ASP.NET? Does anybody know? And Is MS SQL really faster than MySQL? 8O
Eloff
New php-forum User
New php-forum User

Postby Eloff » Sun Mar 30, 2003 10:54 pm

I did some searching on google and I found that php doesn't have any form of caching system in place. It reads in the file, reads in all the includes, parses and interprets them, and then compiles and runs it. There is something called a Zend Accelerator that caches the compiled version of the code in memory, and eliminates the above steps. However it is a commercial product and pretty expensive.

A did find an awsome product that is as effective as the Zend Accelerator, and available free. The IonCube Accelerator http://www.php-accelerator.co.uk/about.php. Looks like php can offer us compiled speeds!
Eloff
New php-forum User
New php-forum User

Postby *JaH* » Mon Mar 31, 2003 5:58 am

ASP.NET hasn't been made to compete with PHP, but to compete with JAVA...it's both a multiplatform language :)

So if you want more than just a normal website, go for jsp :) (or if yur desperate asp.net ;))

And all the Zend products work great indeed :) They're very expensive, but worth the money :)

and MS SQL is indeed a whole lot better than mysql
*JaH*
New php-forum User
New php-forum User

Return to PHP General