How it can cost?

General discussions related to php

Moderators: macek, egami, gesf

cyberfyb
New php-forum User
New php-forum User

How it can cost?

Postby cyberfyb » Tue Feb 11, 2003 7:53 am

I have a client who ask me how much I will charge to develop a webcam program (in PHP) that will record the video stream of the client and send it to their respective userspace on the server. Log the errors in MySQL and that's it.

I thing about $460 USD. What do you think?

Thank's for your comments!

Hurkle
New php-forum User
New php-forum User

Postby Hurkle » Tue Feb 11, 2003 8:02 am

There's no real way to evaluate that price without more details. A few factors come into play. Do you know all the details about everything the client needs and expects? If so, do you have a solid estimate of how long in actual hours it will take you to do? Also, do you have an idea of how much per hour you need to make in order to be successful? If so, compare that price to the range your client would be willing to pay. If there's some common ground between the two, go for it. If your client isn't able or willing to pay what the job should fairly cost, still consider it if you think there might be future work, or referrals.

That having been said, your price sounds *very* low. I would bill a much higher amount. But it all depends on your situation.

Best of luck.

cyberfyb
New php-forum User
New php-forum User

Postby cyberfyb » Tue Feb 11, 2003 8:11 am

The specs is what I enumerate. The function of this program is to run on a popup windows where an activeX element start the webcam of the client and the program send the stream into the user space on the server. It is not a big sophisticated program but it have to be stable. Actually, it is a rewriting of an actual program which is not stable. We will use PHP and the original program was developed in Delphi 4.

I estimate a week (35 hours) of work at $20 CDN (+/- $13USD) per hour. So that is the calcul. At this time, I do not know the budget of this client, I just know that they pay very well their tasks. I am looking for a "lower" or "higher" but not really a real price!

By the way, your answer was very well explains!

;-)

Hurkle
New php-forum User
New php-forum User

Postby Hurkle » Tue Feb 11, 2003 8:17 am

Mon plaisir, bonne chance.

Return to “PHP General”