How to add/upgrade from PHP 5.3.x to 5.6 or 7.1.x on local Win10 iis for dev?

General discussions related to php

Moderators: egami, macek, gesf

Fran3
New php-forum User
New php-forum User

Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:13 am

The Status:
- On local development machine I have Win 10, iis, PHP 5.3.x and latest version of MySQL.
- I need to upgrade PHP locally to match what is on our Windows Web Server for new dev project.
- The GoDaddy web server is currently at PHP 5.6 but we can possibly upgraded (I think) to 7.x

The Questions:
1 - How to install PHP 5.6 or 7.x locally with 5.3.x already on the Win 10 64bit PC?
... Remove 5.3.x first or will the new version install so both are available?
2 - Any tutorials on how to do this... can’t afford to mess it up :-)
3 - What is the link to install package for 5.6 and/or 7.1.x? (All I have found is source code download)

This will be installed on a local Windows 10 pc to be used for development work. It is running iis and the latest version of MySQL.

I guess I want 'thread safe' as 'unsafe' is scary :-)

Thanks for any help.

Fran3
New php-forum User
New php-forum User

Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:33 am

OK, we have most of this figured out. For the benefit of others here is some info that may help.

Here is where you download the PHP zip file of your choice.

http://windows.php.net/download/

We started with 5.6.3.1 because that is what is on our web server. After some research we chose the 'tread unsafe' version for our local development machine... which is running Win 10 with iis. Later we will download 7.x and have our web server upgraded but we wanted to move along quickly at this point so we are going with 5.6.3.1 for now.

Turns out there is really no 'install' for PHP itself... you just copy the version into a folder. You can have multiple versions and switch back and forth depending on which version the site is using. Example of where to install (on Windows) could be...

C:\Program Files (x86)\PHP\v5.6.3.1
C:\Program Files (x86)\PHP\v5.3
C:\Program Files (x86)\PHP\etc

or for 64 bit
C:\Program Files\PHP\v7.1
or some such

Of course when you extract the PHP and put it in the folder of your choice you do need to tell your server where it is and a few other things...

This video should help. It is about installing PHP 5.6 on Windows 7 with iis. The general procedure should be relevant regardless... we think... at least it is a start point in the education process of what to expect during the setup.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAHZKR7ULjI

We still have a ways to go as we have downloaded, unzipped, and located PHP 5.x but have yet to setup iis to use it. Currently, on the local development machine we have PHP 5.3 and are studing its iis setup carefully before we add in the additional PHP veersion.

I will be posting additional questions as we go along the journey so stay tuned.

If any of my comments above turn out to be inaccurate I would appreciate your help in getting things straight and correct :-)